Commodore Commodore
Commodore

display sitescope alert action trigger frequency

Is there a property that can be included in the alert email text to show the trigger frequency instance?  In other words, I want to show how many times the error has occurred in the email text.

0 Likes
12 Replies
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

Hi,

SiS doc says that ´Sample #´:

• The sample ID number indicating how many times the monitor ran before the condition was reported.

0 Likes
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Thanks for your response, however, that is not quite what I am looking for.  I want the number of times the error has occurred since the last good reading.  For example you can choose an alert trigger frequency of  "Always after the condition has occurred N times."  For each repetition of the alert action (ex. email alert), I want to include in the email text, how many times (N) the error has occurred.   What property holds this value N?

Thanks.

Admiral Admiral
Admiral

If you have set Status Trigger to Error and Trigger Freq to "Always after the condition has occurred exactly 3 times", you want an alert to be sent on the third occurence and then on each occurence after that until not Error? And include the count value of each occurence (3, 4, 5....) until not Error?

If so, I understood what you meant, but had the wrong suggestion. <sample> is not reset between statuses.
You need the count value, and that doesn´t seem to be an available alert property. 

A good candidate for a new Idea?

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Hi @Timag 

If you are monitoring a log file and you want to trigger an alert only when a certain keyword appears for example 100 times, you can simply put a condition like: matches >= 100 then in alert email template, you can put <errorOnly> property in the template.

So when the condition is met and alert is triggered, you will find the number of matches is there like: matches: 100

Is this what you want to achieve?

Good Luck!

Abdelwahab

0 Likes
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Yes, this is what I want to do. I expected that this count value must be stored somewhere or how would SiteScope determine when the "after the condition occurred N times" had been breached.

I will submit as an idea as you suggested unless somebody finds this property in the meantime.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Timag

I applied my ususal "what can I all see in an alert email message" approach as documented in
KM427846 - Sitescope - full group name in Sitescope email alerts and other useful information

Here I created a new template
<sitescope_install_dir>\templates.mail\SG_All
which - additionally to <all> contains all keywords I collected over time with the content (between **********)

This alert is from SiteScope at <newSiteScopeURL>

Monitor: <groupID>:<name>
Tags: <tag>
Group: <group>
Sample #: <sample>

Time: <time>

---------------------- Detail ----------------------

*** SG ***
-- status / error number --
<status>

-- status --
<state>

-- statusText --
<statusText>
*** SG ***

-- aber nun --
mainParameters - all of the parameters that appear on the Edit form
<mainParameters>
mainStateProperties - all of the result stats shown on the Reports
<mainStateProperties>
secondaryParameters - all of the internal parameters
<secondaryParameters>
secondaryStateProperties - all of the internal result stats
<secondaryStateProperties>
all - all of the internal result stats
<all>

On a CPU monitor I bumped the run frequency to all tow minutes (so that I don't need to wait that long),
setup a threshold
Error if
utilization >= 0
which always is true and thus set the monitor status to Error,
then I added an Alert with the following Action
(send email, Template : SG_ALL, Status Trigger : Error, Trigger Frequency : Always, after the condition has occured at least 3 times)

The results are disappointing, I think.
In two consecutive emails I can find (remove a LOT of other data)

Time: 9:45 AM 12/4/20
Sample #: 8340

errorCount: 5

Time: 9:49 AM 12/4/20
Sample #: 8342

errorCount: 7

As mentioned already, there is the "sample" parameter, but this shows the overall sample number since the monitor was started,
there also is errorCount parameter, this might be it perhaps?

I was unable to tets when this gets reset and such, but you might wanna give it a try.
The parameter name to be added to the template is
<errorCount>

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Hi Siggi,

That sounds promising; I will give it a try.

Thanks for the info.  I'll update this thread after I have chance to test it.

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

<errorOnly> will match your needs. It will show you the count value in this format: "matches: ##".
I already using it in my environment and it is working fine.
0 Likes
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

<errorCount> works perfectly, tested it now.

So this is an example of the doc on alert properties not covering all the available properties:
https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/SiteScope:2020.10/PropertiesAlertsTemplatesEvents 

MF should expand the doc to cover all properties.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi dasomm,

there was a comprehensive list distributed with SiteScope 8 (or alike), which got discontinued.
(but attached here for reference) I didn't even know that we documented these properties again (I'm still fighting with the Onlien documentation ...) but after checking I found out that we did it many release ago already.

While the online documentaion might have some disadvantages, it has one BIG advantage:
on the bottom of the page you can click on the button
"Send us feedback via mail"

10-12-2020 12-56-02.jpg

and simply list the option you like to be added.
I use the feedback button quite often, and it works quite good. It might take some time until the changes were done, but in the end it's a lot easier than opening a Change Request with R&D.

Greetings
Siggi 

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

Hi Siggi,

At the start the doc says: "The following is a list of the common properties found in SiteScope alerts". So I guess "common" indicates "some of" / "most used", not ALL. 

It´s still a useful reference, as long as one is aware that the list is not complete. But I guess most users will expect it to be complete and miss that part of the doc (as there are often "walls of text" to go through when reading docs).

The best way of finding what is possible is to test the different properties, as you did in this case.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.