New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

duplicate ci created

Hello There,

i have a managed node where SQL is running and i deployed systeminfrastructure policy as well as the Database discovery policy on this node.

all the instance and database were discovered and stored in RTSM but i see there are two ci (CIT Windows) with the same name.

when executing the show related ci, one ci shows topology related to system (ip, agent, mac address) and another shows topology discovered by DB.

is there some additional configuration needs to be done so i see only one ci, instead of two at first place? also the ci was discovered 2 days ago and i was expecting that reconciliation rule should have fixed it but not.

Any suggestions?

-KAKA-

Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It seems the database discovery submitted the node CI as well.

Now the interesting question is: what are the properties that are different (not missing on one or the other side).

A good start are:

- node name

- primary_dns_name

less likely:

- ip addresses, mac addresses

- bios uuid

- snmp_sys_name

- .. (for more possible attributes check the identification rule in the CI type manager for the CI type "node".

There needs to be a difference or missing overlaps between both CIs for identification attributes.

Once you know the difference you try to figure out why there is a difference, e.g. different FQDNs: is there a different internal FQDN than external? 

Who created the original CI (that has ip addresses etc)?

Regards

Norbert

0 Likes
Highlighted
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi Norbert,

i did a comparison and see that other than primary dns name there is no difference. ci which has IP details is with full FQDN and the once which has DB details no FQDN.

I think more interesting here is why DB discovery look for the FQDN information to some other configuration than the system discovery?

attached is the comparison file.

Thank You.

-KAKA-

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

you are right - this is a good question. I think the MPs should use the same FQDN as the agent already knows and submits to OMi.

So the node that has the short host name is the one created by the DB Management Pack?

If the FQDN was empty it would probably reconcile (depending on the match of other attributes), but according to your spreadsheet it seems to be just different.

If the DB MP submits the short host name, while the agent submits the FQDN you should open a support case - it could just be a bug in the MP.

I assume you are on OMi 10?

Regards

Norbert

Highlighted
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Hi KAKA,

Do you get any solution for this issue, if yes then please can you share as I am facing same issue.

In my case duplicate CI TYPE is Computer and its created by Oracle Discovery Template.

Many Thanks..

Mithilesh

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.