Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

ovownodeutil -outage_node needs very long time to finish

Jump to solution

We use OMW 9 with Patch OMW00178. We have one problem with ovownodeutil

When we use "ovownodeutil -outage_node " from the commandline or call it from vbscript, then the command takes up to 50 seconds to complete. 

Any idea why this takes such a long time and how to improve performance here?

expl:

C:\Program Files\HP\HP BTO Software\bin\win64>ovownodeutil -outage_node -node_name node1 -on

Set nodes:

Node "node1TS Manamgement Server" is updated!

C:\Program Files\HP\HP BTO Software\bin\win64>ovownodeutil -outage_node -node_na

me node1 -off

Set nodes:

Node "node1 TS Manamgement Server" is updated!

C:\Program Files\HP\HP BTO Software\bin\win64>

C:\Program Files\HP\HP BTO Software\lbin\OvOW\en>cscript.exe ovownodeutil.wsf -outage_node -node_name node1 -unplanned -on

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Set nodes:

C:\Program Files\HP\HP BTO Software\lbin\OvOW\en>cscript.exe ovownodeutil.wsf -outage_node -node_name node1 -unplanned -off

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Set nodes:

C:\Program Files\HP\HP BTO Software\lbin\OvOW\en>ovownodeutil.wsf -outage_node -

node_name node1 -unplanned -off

C:\Program Files\HP\HP BTO Software\lbin\OvOW\en>

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Admiral
Admiral

Hello Sanjit_asc,

There must be difference in the used methods via the MMC Gui or by using the tool "ovownodeutil.cmd".

As explained you can debug the tool for more detail.

I don't have access the full internal mechanisms of both methods so cannot provide a detailed description. In this case you can raise a support call so this can be raised to the product team and answer explain in detail the differences between both methods.

Hope you have a better answer.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution

If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs

Carlos Pinto

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Admiral
Admiral

Hello sanjit_asc,

Can you please make sure that OMW is update to the latest patch OMW_00187 available at:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00940094

Please make sure the agent is also update at least on the OMW server.

Also if possible please follow the actions from support document:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00762924

This should help to improve the performance from your server.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support 

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution

Carlos Pinto
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Thank you for the reply. The overall performance on this OMW Server is very good, except this problem. Any idea how to debug this command?
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Hello sanjit_asc,

The following issue was reported in the past for this tool.

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/LID/QCCR1A143413

The suggested actions should help.

Please also follow any of the Microsoft advices about this topic, for instance in

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947988

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support 

Carlos Pinto
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Hi Carlos, thanks a lot for the help. We changed the settings as described in the knowledge document but no improvement.

Any other idea? The command still takes 38 - 40 seconds. We have 1900 managed nodes, this should not be too much I assume. Is there a way to find out what the command does during all this time?

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Hello Sanjit_asc,

Considering that you have a large environment of 1900 nodes the time seems more than acceptable and only comparing to another server with this number of nodes it's possible to have a more detailed idea.

The internals of this command is not available for consultation but you can get a good idea by reading support document:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM627992

If you open the file "ovownodeutil.cmd" you will see what is doing in the background:

cscript //nologo "%OvBinDir%\OvOWGetUserLanguage.vbs"

IF ERRORLEVEL 2052 set OvLanguageTxt=zh&& goto START

IF ERRORLEVEL 1042 set OvLanguageTxt=ko&& goto START

IF ERRORLEVEL 1041 set OvLanguageTxt=ja&& goto START

IF ERRORLEVEL 1033 set OvLanguageTxt=en&& goto START@echo off

if "%OvBinDir%"=="" set OvBinDir=%OvInstallDir%\bin

echo "WARNING: No valid language found, using English fallback"

set OvLanguageTxt=en

:START

set OvOWScriptDir=%OvInstallDir%\lbin\OvOW\%OvLanguageTxt%

cscript //nologo //Job:Main "%OvOWScriptDir%\ovownodeutil.wsf" %*

exit /B %ERRORLEVEL%

In case you have expertise on scripting you can try to debug it but please notice no changes should be done once this will be out of the scope of support.

This command uses WMI on the OMW server so when outage for a node is set/unset with the ovownodeutil command it can be resource intensive for WMI , in fact, putting a node or node group in outage is a heavy work for WMI considering the nodes you have at this moment.

So the steps from support document "http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00762924" can be attempted.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support

Carlos Pinto
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

thanks a lot. If we put a node in outage using the GUI, this just takes 2 seconds. I assume this is using a different mechanism. Can you confirm this?

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Hello Sanjit_asc,

There must be difference in the used methods via the MMC Gui or by using the tool "ovownodeutil.cmd".

As explained you can debug the tool for more detail.

I don't have access the full internal mechanisms of both methods so cannot provide a detailed description. In this case you can raise a support call so this can be raised to the product team and answer explain in detail the differences between both methods.

Hope you have a better answer.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support

Carlos Pinto

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.