New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

"No Data" for vsphere connection

I have connected vPV 1.2 with my vSphere host.  The Data Sources tab in the Administration screen shows Data Collection Completed and 76 Instances found, however the Treemap remains empty with "no data" displayed.

The workbench says "There are no CI(s) to display, try refreshing."  (Refreshing has no effect.)  When I go to Capacity Usage Trends, data is available.  I can browse through the datacenter, hosts, and VMs and see all the summary reports and graphs that accompany those pages.

I have tried stopping and restarting the vPV service, with no effect.

What would cause the data to appear in the Capacity Usage Trends, but not the Treemap or Workbench?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
14 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Shawn,

Can you look for the timestamp for which the admin screen says - "Data Collection Completed" to check whether it is current time or not?

Also, try a full restart. ie. "ovc -stop". Then look for any java processes running "ps -ef | grep java". If there are any, kill them. Then do a "ovc -start".

Hope it helps.

Hope it helps.
Bring joy to others. It feels really good.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thanks for the help, unfortunately stopping and restarting OVC didn't have any affect.  The last collection time listed on the management screen still shows today's date, but "no data" still appears in the main screen.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Shawn,

Sad to hear that.

Can you share the following logs to help us identify the issue.

Contents of the folder -  "/var/opt/OV/log".

Also, it would be great if you raise a support case for the same. It would help us handle the issues more efficiently.

Hope it helps.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Here are the logs.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I hit a similar issue on this today myself.

The account that vPV was setup to use was an individual's AD account.  This account is setup to be able to access vCenter Server through AD integration.

The person changed their AD password a while back but forgot they setup vPV to use their account.  I noticed this morning vPV hasn't collected data in over a month.   

Re-set the account to a new service account for this and 1 hour later ... no change in the data.

Tried deleting that data collection setup for VMware and re-created it.  Still nothing.  Still says it's doing data collection.

In /var/opt/OV/log/pvhibernate.log I see this over and over:

May 23 17:46:18 - ERROR - [Vertica][VJDBC](100176) Failed to connect to host 127.0.0.1 on port 5433. Reason: Connection refused

In /opt/vertica/log/adminTools-pv_vertica.log I see this:

May 23 17:43:53  [commandLineCtrl.commandHost] processing start
May 23 17:43:53  [commandLineCtrl.commandHost] this host's DBs: {'pv': {'host': '127.0.0.1', 'db': 'pv', 'name': 'v_pv_node0001', 'state': 'DOWN'}}
May 23 17:43:53  [commandLineCtrl.commandHost] up DBs: []
May 23 17:43:53  [adminExec.getRestartPolicy] found restartpolicy dict
May 23 17:43:53  [commandLineCtrl.commandHost] executing start for DB pv (policy: ksafe); host 127.0.0.1 node v_pv_node0001
May 23 17:43:53  [commandLineCtrl.commandHost] spawn: /opt/vertica/bin/vertica ['/opt/vertica/bin/vertica', '--status', '-D', '/var/opt/OV/databases/pv/catalog/pv/v_pv_node0001_catalog']
May 23 17:43:55  [commandLineCtrl.commandHost] hostdown: 1 after 1 tries, return code 0
May 23 17:43:55  [commandLineCtrl.commandHost] ksafe but DB not up, skipping
May 23 17:43:55  [commandLineCtrl.commandHost] should have started a DB, but didn't
May 23 17:43:55  [commandLineCtrl.commandHost] overall status: 0

Looks like there is something wrong with the Vertica DB on this VM ??

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Stopping and restarting vpv should restart the vertica DB.  Have you tried that?

pv restart

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sometimes vertica startup doesn't happen properly on vPV system. To overcome this issue, follow the following steps-

1. pv stop

2. su pv _vertica

3. /opt/vertica/bin/adminTools

It will open up the vertica console. Check if vertica is running or not by choosing "Connect to Database."

4. If database is not up, choose "Start Database". When prompted for password, just press enter.

This will start vertica on the vPV system.

5. Exit from the vertica console.

6. Exit from the pv_vertica user login.

7. pv start

Hope this helps.

Hope it helps.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

My ultimate solution was to rebuild the vPV VM instance.

Next time I'll try the suggestions gives in this thread.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have had to rebuild vPV also when data collection became inconsistent. I do not want to have to do it again, so will try the suggestions in this thread and let you know how it goes.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

@AjeetKrTiwari wrote:

Hi Shawn,

Can you look for the timestamp for which the admin screen says - "Data Collection Completed" to check whether it is current time or not?

Also, try a full restart. ie. "ovc -stop". Then look for any java processes running "ps -ef | grep java". If there are any, kill them. Then do a "ovc -start".

Hope it helps.

Hi...I'm not a Linux expert. What is the command to stop the Java services that your command outputs?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Shawn,

Try the following commands shown in bold.

1. ovc -stop

2. ps -ef | grep VIdaemon

3. Kill the pid which shows the output. e.g

[root@martellvm25 ~]# ps -ef | grep VIdaemon
root 4829 4572 0 09:20 pts/0 00:00:00 grep VIdaemon
root 23663 23193 1 04:26 ? 00:03:56 java -Xms256m -Xmx3072m -classpath /o...

In this case we need to kill the 2nd process. Kill it by running - "kill -9 23663".

4. ovc -start

Hope it helps.

Hope it helps.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.