Commodore Commodore
Commodore

recommendation for OpenAgent-inventory needed

Hello there,

for the new Open Agent we install patch versions on our OM9 management server.

They are always added to the inventory which can be shown with

oainstall.sh -inv

As there are more and more versions coming out this output is getting longer.

I'm wondering if there is a recommendation on how to deal with obsolete versions.

Shall they be removed with

oainstall.sh -r -m -pn <patch-number>

?

Are the old versions still needed on the server?

I assume the patches are cumulative.

The output of a removal on our test-system looked a little bit weird:

/opt/OV/bin/OpC/agtinstall/oainstall.sh -r -m -pn OAWIN_00003
     INFO:    Restoring the HP Operations agent packages on the management server
     INFO:    Removal of the HP Operations agent packages for the patch OAWIN_00003 is successful

I hope nothing has been "restored" here, at least it was "successful" after all and the related patch-directory in the mgd_node-tree on the OM9 server has disappeared. 

In earlier days (on HP-UX) we had the cleanup command which removed obsolete / superseded patches.

Here it looks like we have to remove every superseded agent patch manually with the mentioned command.

Are there any hints for me?

Thanks in advance,

Iris

1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello there,

Many thanks for your message.

In the very dim and distant past, there was just one agent file set, which existed up until three file sets (agent, bbc and coda).  What happened at this point was that the whole agent was copied to another part of the file system.  The installation script inst.sh asked you what version you wanted to install and then referenced that version.  Things changed a little later with the XPL/BBC based agent where there could be over 20 packages installed on the agent.  OA11 has reduced this number somewhat to 13-14.

Before OA11, new agent versions were installed as file sets on the server which used swinstall/pkgadd to install the new agent version on the OM server and to run pre and post installation scripts. But this is not flexible enough for HP.  One of the OA11 concepts was to have exactly the same agent bundles on all the Solaris, HP-UX, Linux and Windows OM servers.  So it was decided to stop using swinstall/pkgadd/rpm and MSI and replace it all with a set of scripts (launched from oainstall) which now manage filesets on the filesystem.  So, if you want to remove a patch, as you described, you would run oainstall.sh -r -m -pn <patch-number>.

The idea is that if needed, you can switch in and out the version of agent required.  So far, all the agent patches to date have required the agent to be installed on the management server first.  You may wish to install from the server, older agent versions in which case these would need to be copied back into the relevant directory on the management server.  If you don't install agents from the server this becomes less of an issue as you are likely to have copied off somewhere a version of the agent which you give you your agent deploy team.

I guess to answer your question:

"In earlier days (on HP-UX) we had the cleanup command which removed obsolete / superseded patches.  Here it looks like we have to remove every superseded agent patch manually with the mentioned command"

I think the answer is yes - you will have to remove the patches using this command.  You can't just remove the file off the file system as that upsets the oainstall database.  Personally, I would not remove patches until the next major verison of the agent has been released and you have tested it OR unless you have copied elsewhere different versions of the agent, though at around 70MB per platform type, I understand that you could be using lots of disc space without much benefit.

To answer:

"I hope nothing has been "restored" here, at least it was "successful" after all and the related patch-directory in the mgd_node-tree on the OM9 server has disappeared"

The files should have been removed from the file system and the oainstall database should have been updated that the OAWIN_00003 patch has been removed.  I would hope the HP agent team mention in the release notes once the next major version of agent is released that it's now acceptable to remove the old patches from the OM servers file system.

I hope you get a better answer,

Duncan

Note: The agent deployables themselves still use swinstall/pkgadd/msiexec/rpm and the like to install.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.