Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Add CI to Business Impact

Hi all,

I've built a topology map of my infrastructure and now I'd like to have the business impact of a host along all the dependency chain to the Business Application.

In between I have what I called "Technical Services", a CIT I've added to abstract all the layers of my infrastructure... For example I've the "webserver" technical service, the "soa" technical service, and so on, each with their hosts and technical service (dependency).

Now, when I open the "Business Impact" view, I've only the host/technical service and the Business Application on top of it, without all the dependency chain (host -> tech service -> tech service -> ... -> Business Application)

I've tryied adding those tripets to the "Impact by" compose relation, but with no luck...

Ideas? Other ways to do that?

Thanks a lot,

Bye

Nic

0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Add CI to Business Impact

BusinessImpact report will show all the top level CIs that are impacted by the selected CI. it will only show CIs that inherit from BusinessElement CIT.

you can use other UI elements to display the path to root if you are interested in the chain.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

You are right, I've forgotten to say that I've modified the "SearchForBusinessImpact" so that the top level CI inherits from "ConfigurationItem", and, specifically, are Business Application, Business Service and Technical Service (my custom CIT)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

and when you calculate the TQL in RTSM Admin, do you get your custom CIT?

by looking at the code, it doesnt seem like there is additional filtering, so it should work with custom CIT too.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

When I hit "Calculate Query Result Count" in the "SearchForBusinessImpact" I have the screenshot attached, that is the exact number of CIs I should have in my topology and impact...

It doesn't show me the relations because there are too much elements to visualize, so I cannot validate everything... Is there another way to see only the query result for a particular CI?

Thanks a lot for the support...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

first of all you should do "preview" to see the results, not just "count" them. then in the preview screen you can change display to Text.

anyway, you can filter the TQL by add query node properties to the ITU_Triggered element.

i am still not convinced your custom CIT are part of the result.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Ok, tell me if I did everything right: SearchForBusinessImpact -> ITU_Triggered -> Edit -> Identity -> <selected a host> -> Query Result -> Preview -> I see the map attached, that is exactly the map I'd like to have in the Business Impact (not the map, the CIs)...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

which report are you trying?

it works for me when i select the CI in 360 view and then click the "Business Impact" link.

when trying the "Business Impact" from context menu it throws an error in \log\jboss-as-all.log because of wrong icon. try to give you custom CIT the icon of Business Service and see if that will fix the problem. if not, please open support case.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I've also tryied the report you suggested with no luck, always only the Host and the Business Application, no Technical Service...

I've also tryied changing the icon, but nothing happens. BTW I can't find the log you mentioned, is it on GW or DPS?

Thanks a lot for the patience...

Nic

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

well, you didnt mention your version so I assumed latest.

anyway,, if you cannot resolve this I suggest to open Support case.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Yep, my version is: HPE Operations Manager i 10.11.121 IP 1 (OMI_00153) Intermediate Patch

Thanks a lot, I'll try to open a support case...

Bye

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.