Alerts on CPU load over time

Hello.

I've only recently started to work with OMi, so not very well versed in whats possible or not, but theoreticaly I think it should be doable, just not sure how.

I have a Windows server that at times has high CPU load and I need it to send out alerts in the following scenarios: 

1. OMI alarm at 70% CPU load over 10 min
  2. OMI alarm at 80% CPU load over 10 min
  3. OMI alarm at 90% CPU load over 10 min
  4. OMI alarm at 100% CPU load over 10 min

I was thinking of using a Mesaurement Threshold policy and adding 4 rules that each would ignore spikes that last below 10 min and would trigger an alarm when the threshold is reached and would reset if the threshold drops to the level below.(60% for for 70% load, 70% for 80% load etc).

However, I'm not sure as how to make this work, so that whenever it drops to a level below, it wont send out a new alert for that threshold, or for that matter wont send out several alerts if its say at 90% (triggering the 80 and 70% rules as well).

Please advise:)

Best regards

Fjodor

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Re: Alerts on CPU load over time

Hi Fjodor,

May I know what OMi version do you use?

Your requirement is feasible using Measurement Threshold policy, please refer to below link to configure 

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Bridge_Manager:2018.05/OMi/AdminGuide/Monitoring/PolicyTemplates/om_uc_pt_measurement_threshold

Particularly you can use default CPU Bottleneck policy, we have defualt Critical Major Minor and Warning thressholds set for each CPU usage level  e.g. 100, 90, 80, 70 in your case.  Only 1 alert of the highest level will be triggerred. Also, there is an option to Ignore peaks in a short time which you can set to 10 minutes when you configure the policy.

Best Regards,

Ryan

Re: Alerts on CPU load over time

Hello @Ryan Nguyen and thank you for your replay.

We are running OMi version 10.61.014

I think its what I tried to setup, but not sure how to test this,without recreating a full CPU load(which is undesirable). Also, did you mean the Sys_CPUBottleneckDiagnosis policy ? 

If I take that and add the option to ignore peaks for 10 mins and set the reset level to the level below, it should all be good, no? 

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Fjodor

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.