Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Acclaimed Contributor.. FrankMortensen Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Aspect/Policy-assignments are not deleted when deleting a node

Jump to solution

Hi

OBM 10.63 IP2 on Windows, integrated with UCMDB etc. UCMDB is the CMDB "master" in this environment, and thus it feeds OBM and other systems with CI's.

When/if we delete a Node CI in OBM for whatever reason, it gets added again a few hours later by an UCMDB push jobb, unless it has been deleted there as well. So far so good, this is as expected. When it gets added back to OBM/RTSM, however, the Node CI does not anymore have any related HP Operations Agent CI. Which is also as expected, since these agents' existences is unknown to UCMDB (we do not sync any info. back from OBM/RTSM to UCMDB).

The fact that the node does not have an HP Operations Agent relation in RTSM makes it *not* meet the requirements of our appropriate Automatic Assignment Rules anymore. Thus we would expect that OBM does at this stage *not* try to deploy any policies to it, and even this is as desired. We do not want it to try to deploy policies to a node that does not have an Agent-relation in RTSM.

When we look at the assignments for this node, however, from under Monitored Nodes, we see that *all* the aspects that were assigned to the node during is "previous life" are still intact! And that is why OBM tries to deploy policies to it. 

These deployment jobs fail, so this is a somewhat annoying problem in our big environment with thousands of nodes.

My question is: How can we *purge* all assignments for nodes that do not longer exist in OBM/RTSM? So that OBM does not try to deploy anything to them if UCMDB pushes them back into RTSM at a later stage.¨¨

Or do you have any other suggestion on how to deal with this matter?

BR,
Frank Mortensen
Managon AB

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Aspect/Policy-assignments are not deleted when deleting a node

Jump to solution

Hi Frank,

What is the value of the Infra setting “Allow automatic deletion of direct assignments” in your environment?

image.png

Regards,

Rosen

Micro Focus Software Support
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of Micro Focus.
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
10 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Frank,

What is the value of the Infra setting “Allow automatic deletion of direct assignments” in your environment?

image.png

Regards,

Rosen

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of Micro Focus.
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Rosen,

Thanks for your very interesting reply!

You are certainly right in what I assume is your suspicion, i.e. that this setting is in fact "false" here :)

We changed it quite a while back, as an emergency measure, after experiencing that *directly* assigned policies to some old HPUX-servers were "irrecoverably" undeployed when Node CI's were erroneously deleted in RTSM by an UCMDB push job.

The HPUX environment has now been replaced and now we use (at least to 99%) automatic assignments of Aspects based on AAR and views.

I reckon you *may* have solved our problem :) I will certainly give it a try!

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Here's an update regarding this:

I have now changed that I/S parameter back to the default value of true. After that I have identified a couple of problem nodes according to the description/criteria in my first posting. I.e. a node that has been deleted, then re-added by UCMDB and got its aspect assignments back, despite the fact that it does not have an OA-relation and thus is not included in the assignment views in question.

I saw the assignments both in the console and in the DB-table CFG_DIRECTASSIGNMENT, for this particular Node CI_ID.

I then deleted the node altogether. I have since then looked several times in the CFG_DIRECTASSIGNMENT table for the same node (based on its CI_ID), and now after just over 1 hour those direct assignments are still there. And the value in the DELETED column is 0 for all the assignments.

Should I not expect the entries to be deleted immediately? Is it perhaps relevant that the node in question is not anymore a member of the view that assigned the aspects in the first place, considering the above mentioned fact that it does not have an OA-relation?

I will check back in the table again tomorrow, to see if the 12h maintenance job that OBM does regarding assignments also affects this one.

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

A last update: It seems that the amazingly powerful internal housekeeping mechanisms in OBM tidied up everthing last night. 

When I arrived at work this morning, it had also generated a biiiig bunch of deployment jobs for removing polices from all nodes that have been deleted since the aforementioned I/S setting was activated quite a while back. Obviously these jobs failed, as the nodes do not exist anymore, so I just closed these events and removed the deployment jobs. 

When investigating the CFG_DIRECTASSIGNMENT table for the same node that I looked at yesterday, I see that all assignments are still there actually, but the big difference is that the DELETED column now contains a one.

Do you know if this table will be purged at some stage, so that the direct assigment entries with DELETED=0 will be completely removed at some stage?

Anyway, I feel quite confident that the I/S setting was the cause of our problems with aspect assignments being kept for deleted nodes. 

Thanks again for your help, Rosen!

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Frank,

You can run a JMX MBean method to clean up the assignments to deleted CIs.  Use the JMX console UI or the CLI.  If you are on Windows, just do the same with the command %TOPAZ_HOME%\opr\support\opr-jmxClient.bat.

• List Assignments to deleted CI’s (10.6x)

• /opt/HP/BSM/opr/support/opr-jmxClient.sh -r -s localhost:4447 -bean "com.hp.opr.config:name=AssignmentCleanupMBean" -method listAssignmentsOfDeletedCis

• Cleanup Assignments to deleted CI’s (10.6x)
  • /opt/HP/BSM/opr/support/opr-jmxClient.sh -r -s localhost:4447 -bean "com.hp.opr.config:name=AssignmentCleanupMBean" -method removeCleanupAssignmentsOfDeletedCis -a false

While not related to cleaning up deleted assignments, I thought you might be interested in this other JMX MBean method to clean up duplicate assignments:

• List Duplicate Assignments (10.6x)
  • /opt/HP/BSM/opr/support/opr-jmxClient.sh -r -s localhost:4447 -bean "com.hp.opr.config:name=AssignmentCleanupMBean" -method listDuplicateAssignments
  • Cleanup Duplicate Assignments (10.6x)
  • /opt/HP/BSM/opr/support/opr-jmxClient.sh -r -s localhost:4447 -bean "com.hp.opr.config:name=AssignmentCleanupMBean" -method removeDuplicateAssignments -a false

In 10.70 the above issues should be fixed.

CP.

Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thanks, Carol. Those look very interesting!

When I log into the JMX console in my customer's environment, though (port 29000), I do not see the AssignmentCleanupMbean at all. The only two MBeans I see under com.hp.opr.config is DeletedCiAssignmentReassignmentMBean and PerfMBean.

Any idea why?

We run 10.63 IP2 on Windows. I see the exact same in both the Prod and Test environments.

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Frank,

What Carol suggests as JMX methods seems available from OBM 2018.05. It is not available in 10.63 unfortunately. There you need to do complicated DB interventions. The JMX methods were introduced to save the headache.   

Regards,

Rosen

Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thanks, Rosen!

I must say I appreciate having skilled people available and answering my questions both in the US and in Europe. It results in great "opening hours" and significantly increases the value of this forum :)

Except for the fact that we then will have an amount of unnecessary entries in the DB, does it have any practical consequences that these particular entries reside there (until we at a future stage have upgraded to a newer OBM-version and can remove them using the JMX console)?

Like mentioned yesterday, the value in the DELETED column is now 1 for those assignments (after I changed that direct assignment I/S setting back to the default), so I reckon (read: hope) this means that OBM will not yet again try to create any new deployment jobs to remove the policies from the (long gone) nodes again?

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Frank,

As far as I know it should not have an impact but if in fact you notice something as a symptom you can open a case for the support providing the steps to clear the DB.

Cheers,

Rosen

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Ok, thanks Rosen!

Frank

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.