Honored Contributor.. AnthonyRab Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

BSM Downtime Management improvement needed. (9.24IP1H2)

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I tried to use downtime for two main functions (EUM and Nodes CI) and faced major issues in term of design/functionalities.

First I provided the EUM SMEs the ability to create downtime for planned maintenance.

As our BSM is load balanced and on HTTPS, using Java get difficult to load many time (always having problems with the security settings - today advised to use one GW to connect...).

Then when it comes to search for a CI in the long list, it is not obvious to type the name without search box.

For Operators using Service Health (SH), i tried to provide the same for nodes CI. but i faced then new issues :

- there is no direct menu from service heath view epxlorer (from a CI). I am not java expert, and i do have the easy way to create outage from there (with CI set into the downtime CI selection)

- when we create outage and is currently running, nothing indicates that the CI in under outage (same icon)

I could do something with the DTimport with parameters, and build custom thing, but i really feel it better that it comes from HP as it is a functionality that would help everyone.

To summurize the issues with donwtime :

-java

-Be able to create it from service health (with CI already selected) -have a search box in the CI selection.

-in SH/RTSM, have an icon when the CI in on downtime

let me know if you feel this important or not...

cheers,

Anthony

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: BSM Downtime Management improvement needed. (9.24IP1H2)

Jump to solution

Hi Anthony,

In order to see the CI under maintenance, you need to use a Service Health component in your page as thats where CI status is shown grayed out. So, you can design a page that has, for example, Hierarchy component along with Event Browser and then druign active downtime, CI status will change and tooltip will also show that its in downtime. Once the downtime is over, right status will be shown again. Please note that View Explorer in the Event Perspective UI only lists the CIs, it does not show CI status and thats why there is no indication about the downtime.

I hope it helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Mamta

0 Likes
10 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.. Harald Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Anthony,

probably the best way would be to use the webservice and use a tool for it. The Downtime API is explained in the extensibility guide.

Kind regards,

Harald

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Regardign service health not indicating downtime, it depends on what action you have selected while configurig the downtime definition. If you select "take no action", then you won't see any indication in Service Health. But if you select any action that says "enforce downtime", then the CI in Downtime will be shown grayed out in SH components and one can see clearly that those CIs are in Downtime. As soon as downtime is finished, CIs will start showing the latest or the last status.

I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mamta

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.. SuperCoolNothin Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

It is still very annoying that you cannot search for a specific CI in the downtinme tool. Only for views. I've been asked many times why this finctionality is not included.

I don't have a good answer, the only one being that you should know which CI's are in specific views and use the views to select your CI's. It would make more sense to be able to search for CI's using a pattern though.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Anthony, I'm not sure why search capability is not there in the Downtime CI selection UI but may be it has something to do with user permissions on CIs as permissions are provided on view basis.

Suggest you to raise one more ER...

Thanks,

Mamta

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

It is definatley not permissions based as it happens when you are logged on as Admin with full privs.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

hi,

regarding CI search (in Downtime UI and in general).

in BSM, we dont manage permissions at the CI-level, but only based on Views. this is BSM design.

with that in mind, this means we cannot allow selecting and searching any CI from RTSM, since we cannot control the authorization level. this is the reason you always have to select View and then CIs from that view.

you can perform CI search from a View.

I hope this clarifies. let me know if you need more info.

Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Asaf,

That is two I owe you today!

I'll save your explanation for the next time I am asked. 

Many thanks.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello all,

thanks for your answers !!

Mamta, this is interesting.

when i do have downtime enforced for a CI on the BSM9.24 IP1 H2 i use, i do not have the CI grayout, this is exactly what i need !

if this is expected, i may have issue on my side, am i correct ?

thanks,

Anthony

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Anthony,

In order to see the CI under maintenance, you need to use a Service Health component in your page as thats where CI status is shown grayed out. So, you can design a page that has, for example, Hierarchy component along with Event Browser and then druign active downtime, CI status will change and tooltip will also show that its in downtime. Once the downtime is over, right status will be shown again. Please note that View Explorer in the Event Perspective UI only lists the CIs, it does not show CI status and thats why there is no indication about the downtime.

I hope it helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Mamta

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Manta,

understood,

i did not check CI status when outage occurs,

I will updatemy documentation accordinly,

thanks !

Anthony

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.