Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Highlighted
Mel Farber Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Configure PMI within OBM to show processes

Jump to solution

I am trying to drill down or simply configure PMI to show CPU usage by process or by application (as defined in the parm file).  I thought I had done it a while back, but don't seem to be able to create a chart or drill down to see CPU by process or application.

I have checked online Help, but I cannot find here to do it.  In the past I could choose to drill down by time (still can) and by process (cannot do).

I can select chart and it gives me Time - Process ID - Process Name - App Name and a filter symbol, but nothing indicates how to filter.

Probably missing something easy, but missing it nonetheless.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mel

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Configure PMI within OBM to show processes

Jump to solution

Hi Mel,

"Process Drilldown" is the name of a Performance Dashboard.  You can select that dashboard after selecting a node CI.  One way to make use of it is in this workflow:  In a performance dashboard of your choice, zoom in (eg like you would have done with OVPM) to the timeframe where you want to now drill down to process.  Then select the "Process Drilldown"performance dashboard.  Another option, from a workflow perspective, is to edit a chart in your performance dashboard, click the Link tab and eneter a label and select the "Process Drilldown" dashboard, then click "Back to Dashboard".  The link is added to the bottom left of the chart.  This means you don't need to search for the Process Drilldown dashboard and can just click the link to get to it.

The default row height displays 3 rows at a time.  You would need to click the navigation controls at the bottom of the table to see more.  You can also change the height of the row containing your chart.  To do this, just click the plus sign at the left side of the row and click Set Height.

As for the timestamp, the default is to sort the table by the Time column in ascending order, starting with with the date/time you are using for the dashboard (set at the top of the screen).  If you have taken that into account and still believe there is a problem, then please provide more details.

CP.

6 Replies
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

I forgot to mention we are running OBM 2018.05 on Linux and the agents are mostly Linux.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Mel,

You can either select the "Process Drilldown" dashboard (if you have selected a node CI) or create a chart of type 'process table'.

In the field at the top of a column, enter the filter criteria (eg, under CPU% enter >10 and/or under Process Name enter a string) and click the Filter icon on the right.  If you want to clear the filter, click the other Filter icon next to it that has a cross.

CP.

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Carol,

I will try that when I return to the site on Wednesday.  But, if I put nothing in the column headings and press the filter icon, shouldn't I get all the processes?  I didn't.

Happy holidays.

Thanks,
Mel

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Carol,

I went back and I can have a process table (there was no Process Drill Down when I select Add Row->Add Chart-> there were only Graph, Single Value, Text, Pie, Table, Process Table).  The ? on filter says to use contains, but that doesn't work, but just putting a partial string does work. >10 works for the CPU% as I selected Metric PROC_CPU_TOTAL_UTIL.

The display only gives me 3 lines, though I can use arrows to go to others which passed the filter.  I would like to display at least the 10 matching the criteria.  Maximize does nothing of value.

Another problem is the time.  It is wrong.  Filtering on process name it is 6 hours off.  Filtering by CPU value, it is just off.

I have selected a Node CI - my OMi server.  Where is Process Drilldown?  I can drill down by time by holding down the mouse across the time selection, but nothing indicates how to drill down by process.  I think I can recall doing it with OVPM and for the old timers like myself PerfRX.

Is there a patch I need?  I am running OMi 2018.05/10.70

I downloaded software OBM_2018.05_PerformanceEngine_for_Linux.zip.  Do you know what that is?

Thanks,

Mel

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Mel,

"Process Drilldown" is the name of a Performance Dashboard.  You can select that dashboard after selecting a node CI.  One way to make use of it is in this workflow:  In a performance dashboard of your choice, zoom in (eg like you would have done with OVPM) to the timeframe where you want to now drill down to process.  Then select the "Process Drilldown"performance dashboard.  Another option, from a workflow perspective, is to edit a chart in your performance dashboard, click the Link tab and eneter a label and select the "Process Drilldown" dashboard, then click "Back to Dashboard".  The link is added to the bottom left of the chart.  This means you don't need to search for the Process Drilldown dashboard and can just click the link to get to it.

The default row height displays 3 rows at a time.  You would need to click the navigation controls at the bottom of the table to see more.  You can also change the height of the row containing your chart.  To do this, just click the plus sign at the left side of the row and click Set Height.

As for the timestamp, the default is to sort the table by the Time column in ascending order, starting with with the date/time you are using for the dashboard (set at the top of the screen).  If you have taken that into account and still believe there is a problem, then please provide more details.

CP.

Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Carol,

It has taken a while, but with your help, I think I have a better handle on the Performance Perspective page.  It is not OVPM (or if you remember PerfRX), but it should provide the customer with good data.  I like the link capability.

Thanks,
Mel

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.