Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
RedaSky Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Custom Monitoring

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I want to proceed with custom monitoring for an application.

My idea is to developping many scripts "instrumentation" (using shell).

These scripts write the status of applications components in the log file on the managed node..

And then, i want to configure policy template based on Structured Log file that allow to agent to send event to the OMi..

I'am using OMi 10.10, and in the administration guide, i have read the followings :

**********************************************************************************************
General policy prerequisites

l The integrated product is properly configured for integration with OMi. For more information, see the
OMi Integrations Guide.
l The certificate request from the integrated product is approved in OMi.
l The integrated product is configured as a connected server in OMi
***************************************************************************************************

is that means that i can configure this type of policy only for CI configured as connected server ? (SiteScope, ArcSight...)

Or i can do it for any other server ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Custom Monitoring

Jump to solution

I think the online help text was originally created for a BSM Connector system (which requires a connected server), but with OMi 10.10 you can deploy structured logfile policies also to a normal OA 12 agent (must be version 12 or later!). In this case of course the agent needs to be properly connected (needs a certificate etc), but you don't need a connected server.

Volker

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I think the online help text was originally created for a BSM Connector system (which requires a connected server), but with OMi 10.10 you can deploy structured logfile policies also to a normal OA 12 agent (must be version 12 or later!). In this case of course the agent needs to be properly connected (needs a certificate etc), but you don't need a connected server.

Volker

0 Likes
RedaSky Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hello all,

Thank you Mr.Volker, you're right...

After i have found the solution, i would like to give answers about my previsous questions for some one that is interested..

So, "The integrated product" can be an HP agent, a HP SiteScope Server, An HP ArcSight Logger...or others product that are integrated with OMi ...

As i'm under trial edition of OMi, i haven't the eligibility to use MySQL MP available in community contents for monitoring the MySQL server,..So i need to develop policy template for do it...

My idea ( as explained on the previous post) is to allow OMi to conditionnaly create the event based on the informations present in the log file that he's reading, the test that i have to do  consist of checking status of mysqld process (start or stop).

For that, i have performed the following steps :

Step 1 : Develop the script that is run on the mysql server and writes information on the log file.

Step 2 : Create policy template (Type "Scheduled Task") for scheduling the execution of the script (developed in the step1) on the node

==>In the policy editor you need to give Commands to run (eg. syntaxe to run shell script : /path/./scipt.sh) or Perl Scripts or VB Scripts and time interval between executions of the scripts..

==>For running commands you need to give credentials (Login/Pass) for executing scripts on the target machine or you can give it to policy using parameters in assignement phase.

Step 3 : Create Policy tempalte (type "event from structured log file') for reading information from the log file and triggerring appropriate event

==>In the policy editor you need to specify the structure of log file using the pattern matching langage..

==>Create the rôle that send event based on condition (eg. The rule can consist to sending an event with critical severity and with ETI : "DatabaseStatus=DOWN" when value of the variable extracted from the log file matches to "stop")

Step 4 : Add Ascpect that contains the booth policy templates. (Scheduled & Event from structured log file)

Step 5 : Assign and deploy Ascpect to concerned CI..

Step 6 : Surveil events...

Note that : This tutorial is very basic, the goal is to give to beginner of OMi (As me) an idea for customising monitoring tasks if they not find MP or monitors for applications...

For configuring policy template and for additionnal informations...please refer to OMi 10.10 Administration Guide..

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.