Outstanding Contributor.. RamkumarA Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Custom monitors in OMi

Jump to solution

Hi Experts,

We are using OMi 10.10 on Linux. Would like to get some clarity on custom monitoring assignment for CI's. (example) The monitoring scripts & policies are ready with the list of nodes to deploy it. The instrumentation & policies are grouped in a custom Aspect.  I dont want to assign the Aspect to each of the individual CI's (monitored nodes). Do i need to create custom views here grouping the required CI's here ? If yes, what type of views should be created here. Also, i heard that Aspects/Management templates cant be assigned to views manually.

Thanks,

Ram.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Custom monitors in OMi

Jump to solution

Final query?  Didn't you say that last time 😉

This time your scenario is a little different.  Previously there was no pattern (CI attributes or CI relationships) to identify the 1000 Linux nodes from the total pool of 2000, so you created a cicollection and related CIs to it.  This time you have stated a pattern: all windows nodes in one group and all linux nodes in a different group, for the purpose of assigning policies.

This means you can create a view for each.  Then you can create an auto-assignment rule to assign your aspects or management templates to their respective views.  As CIs are added/modified/deleted, they will show up or get removed from the view and this automatically causes the aspect/MT assignment to be created or deleted for the CIs.

CP.

16 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.. Harald Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello,

yes you can do this. Add the policies into an aspect for a specific CI Type. Then you can assign it.

• Assignment can be done manually for each CI Instance (Assignments & Tuning) or
  • Automatic (Automatic Assignment Rules)

For both you will need a view.

Kind regards,
Harald

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hi Harald,

Thanks for your reply. I have around 2000 Linux CI's monitored in our environment. I need to deploy a custom syslog policy only on some 1000 Linux server CI's. The custom policy is grouped in an aspect. Do i need to create a custom view that contains only the 1000 Linux CI's & assign the aspect to the view? If yes, is it possible to assign the aspect to the view manually instead of assigning to the individual CI's.  Also, what type of view i should create here. Is it possible to create a static view that contains only the 1000 CI's without using any criteria in building views

Thanks,

Ram.

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. Harald Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would do it like this:

• Create an Aspect for "Node/Computer" Ci Type
  • Add a policy to the aspect and
  • Add a policy condition -> OS Type: Linux to the added policy inside the aspect
  • Deploy the aspect to all nodes using Auto-Assignment

Monitoring Automation will automatically check if the Node is from type Linux and only deploy the policy to these nodes. But you will see the "aspect" deployed to all nodes.

PS: Please test your configuration before you deploy it to your productive env.

Kind regards,
Harald

Jump to solution

Hi Harald,

Thanks for your suggestion, Will it deploy the custom policy for all Linux CI's monitored by OMi?

My requirement is to deploy the custom policy only on selected 1000 CI's (approximate count) out of some 2000 Linux CI's. So do i need to create a custom view that contains the 1000 CI's & then apply the aspect to the newly created view?

Thanks,

Ram.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Is there any way you can identify the 1000 Linux CIs by their CI attribute(s) and/or relationship(s) to other CIs?  If so, you could create a view.  Then create an auto-assignment rule that assigns the aspect to that view.  When the rule is activated, the aspect is assigned to all CIs in the view that match the CI Type(s) specified in the aspect.

CP.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

There is a common matching attribute for the 1000 CI's which is DIscoveredOSName (ie) %Linux%, But it would include other Linux CI's which is not part of the requirement. Is it possible to design some kind of static view by including those 1000 CI's manually without using any criteria & then apply the custom aspect to the view? Please advise.

Thanks,
Ram.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

If you can't apply one or more patterns to identify the 1000 Linux CIs, then this is what you can do:

Create a CiCollection CI and then a link from the CiCollection to all 1000 CIs.  You can do this in the RTSM, but it might be easier to do it this way: Go to Monitored Nodes UI and create a Node Group, then select the nodes (ctrl-click to select multiple nodes) and click Add to Node Group.

Next, create a management template and select the "OM CI Collection" view and select CiCollection as the root.  Then associate your aspect with the node CIT in the view.  (Note: if your aspect is not marked node-compatible or not associated with the Node CIT, you either need to modify the aspect or create/choose a different view as the basis for your management template.)

Now, you can assign the management template to a CiCollection.  For a manual assignment just select the CiCollection that represents your Node Group.  This causes the aspect to be assigned to all Node CIs in that Node Group.  Later, if you remove or add Nodes in the Node Group, the aspect will be automatically (de-)assigned.

More detailed instructions are in the OMi Evolution Guide (OMi product manual).  Just search for "Deployment of Policy Groups to Node Groups".

CP.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Great, It helps to group the nodes witout any matching attributes criteria.
While performing assignment of Management template to a CiCollection, it deploys the policies & aspects to the related node CI's under that which is working fine perfectly. 
When a new CI is included in the CiCollection, the assignment is not done for that. In this case, how to initiate the policies deployment only for the newly added CI since the management template is already assigned for the CiCollection? I dont want to directly assign the aspect to the individual CI as the Management template is already assigned to the CICollection & this will result in different amount of assignments.

(example) in OML, when a new node is added to a node group that contains the policies, i initiate "opcragt -distrib -templates <CI>" that pushes the policies for the newly added node.

Thanks,

Ram.

Thanks,
Ram.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

For me, this actually works and has done across multiple versions of OMi.  Ie if you do a manual assignment of the CiCollection CI, then later add a node to the node group, it creates an assignment/deployment job for the newly added node.  Can you check your config again?  For example, do you have conditional deployment on your aspect or policy with conditions that are not met by the node that you added to the node group?  Does the assignment exist, but no actual deployment?

Another thing you can do is create an auto-assignment rule.  Ie assign the management template to a view that contains your cicollection ci.  For this you need to create a view that restricts the cicollection cis in the result so your MT goes only to your node group.

CP.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

There is no conditional deployment setting in the aspect & policy conditions.
However i notice the CI is not recognized by OMi as i see the field is empty for "Monitored By" & "Health Check" when i see it in the node group.
In the Assignments & tuning area, when i click the CI in the left pane located under the CiCollection, it doesnt show the "Aspect" assignment in the right side. For other CI's under the same CiCollection, it shows the "Aspect" assigned. Does its because of the above issue ? I tried "Synchronize instaled packages Information" , and its updated "Operations Agent" field as 11.14.014.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Perhaps the node CI doesn't have the hp_operations_agent CI linked to it.  One thing you can do is to force the topology to get sent from the agent to the OMi server.  To do this:

1. Check that the agent has the correct primary manager:

ovconfget sec.core.auth MANAGER

ovconfget eaagt OPC_PRIMARY_MGR

Note that the second command might not return anything, but that is ok.  If it does, then this takes precedence over the first MANAGER.

2. Force the agent to send its topology to the primary manager:

ovc -restart opcmsga

You want to end up with the node having a link to the hp_operations_agent CI.  This would also add OM to the monitored_by attribute.

CP.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hi Carol,

You are the OMi master. Step 2 did the magic & i see the aspect is assigned automatically when the node CI is added to the CiCollection & policies are deployed. Just final query. For this to work, the agent certificate has to be granted as the pre-requisite? Also, Is there any CLI available to add the CI in the correct node group/CiCollection.

In OM, we use opcnode -add_node node_name=xyz group_name=abc ...

Thanks,

Ram.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

If you are assigning policies to an agent-based node, then yes it needs to be configured with a certificate (just like OM).  If you are assigning policies to an agent-less node, this means you are using SIteScope so the SiteScope server has a configured agent, but the target agentless node CIs don't have agents.

For the CLI, you will need to patch your server from 10.10 to 10.11.

Per the OMi 10.11 release notes:

opr-node to add nodes to node groups. The opr-node tool has been enhanced to enable you to add
nodes to node groups by using the new -node_group option with -add_node or -modify_node. You can
also remove a node from a node group by specifying the additional -remove_from_node_group parameter
with -modify_node. For more information, see Monitoring > Command-Line Interfaces > opr-node
Command-Line Interface in the OMi Administration Guide.

An example of each:

opr-node.sh -username user -password passwd -modify_node -node_name mynode.example.com -node_group mygroup

opr-node.sh -username user -password passwd -modify_node -node_name mynode.example.com -node_group mygroup -remove_from_node_group

CP.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thats so helpful. My final query. Would like to fully automate the end-to-end agent on-boarding. The external uCMDB is integrated with OMi's RTSM to push the CI's into OMi. So manual enrollment of CI's is not needed in OMi.  Once agent is installed on the node CI, will use Autogrant mechanism for certificate grants. And respective management template is assigned to each of the CiCollection for the automatic policy deployment .

Here, how to assign the CI's into the correct node group/CiCollection automatically based on the CI type. (example, windows CI to Windows node group, Linux CI to Linux node group, etc)

If this is done, i believe the on-boarding is fully automated. Is there any gaps in the mechanism. Please advise.

Thanks,

Ram.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.