Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
baggord Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

How to Define Custom Metrics

Jump to solution

Hello,

Is there a way to define new metrics in omi? Such as emptyspace in mb. In FILESYSTEM Class, we have FS_SPACE_USED and  FS_MAX_SIZE. Can I create a metric by extracting these two?

Regards,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to Define Custom Metrics

Jump to solution

Hi,

maybe there is no need to store the data. With OBM 2018.11 (== OBM 10.71) onwards the OBM Performance Perspective is able to define a "Calculated Metric". If you use this feature, you can graph (FS_MAX_SIZE - FS_SPACE_USED) in a graph and get the result you want.

Hope this helps

Marc

If you liked it I appreciate a thumb-up click, if it solves it, please mark it below with "Accept as Solution" - thanks!
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi,

maybe there is no need to store the data. With OBM 2018.11 (== OBM 10.71) onwards the OBM Performance Perspective is able to define a "Calculated Metric". If you use this feature, you can graph (FS_MAX_SIZE - FS_SPACE_USED) in a graph and get the result you want.

Hope this helps

Marc

If you liked it I appreciate a thumb-up click, if it solves it, please mark it below with "Accept as Solution" - thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
baggord Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

That's a great and very essentail, basic feature which should've been implemented long ago, not with 2018.11. 

Sadly, I'm using build 10.62.

Is there a repo for custom dashboards where I can use or get some examples?

0 Likes
Ryan Ferreri Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

I have collection and monitoring policies for application-specific metrics using Measurement Threshold policies. 

For example, I have an application that does some batch processing. Application admins want to know when the number of jobs in the queue reaches a certain threshold, and they want to see a graph of it over time. They have a command that outputs the number of jobs in the queue. I can use this to derive a new metric in a measurement threshold policy, store it in CODA and create a performance dashboard in OBM for their graphing needs.

So in "Sources" you create a new one, use the opcmon command, and embed your "source data" command in backticks (at least in Linux).

/opt/OV/bin/opcmon [policy name]=`[command with numeric output]`

Check the box for "Store in CODA" and you can graph it like any other metric.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.