Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Arvarox Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

How to create a connection to the ArcSight server from OBM?

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I installed OBM 2018.11 (DPS+GW) on Centos 7
After that, I want to connect my ArcSight ESM to the OBM server.
When I open the manual (https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Bridge_Manager:2018.11/OMi/AdminGuide/ConnectedServers/connecting_servers_about#.24filename.7C), I see: "SiteScope and ArcSight set up as connected servers enable you to receive events from them and to deploy configurations to them".

This is good!

Following the instructions in the guide, I enter the data into the OBM - "Administration/Setup and Maintenance/Connected Servers". The OBM server gives me CI ID.

After press "Run test" i get next error:
"BBC ping result:
Ping to esm611 failed due to the following error:
The service residing on server 'esm611', could not be accessed at this time due to an error communicating with the server.
Please try again later, or contact your administrator for additional details."
On the guide i find information: "For the connection test to be successful, you must have an event integration with ArcSight. There must be a trusted relationship between the OBM server and the ArcSight server. After ArcSight is integrated with OBM, the test connection check will return a successful result. The connection can also be validated using the bbcutil -ping command." Ok!
Next step guides is named "Establish a trust relationship for a server connection".
However, the data contained in this section relates to OBM->OBM or OBM->“OBM ifrastructure” or OBM->OMI connections
Subj: Where I turned the wrong way? How to i can create a connection to the ArcSight server from OBM?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to create a connection to the ArcSight server from OBM?

Jump to solution

That means you want to integrate events from ArcSight ESM into OBM. You may want to check the corresponding docs in the link I provided to see how this integration is designed to work. But keep in mind that the docs are seriously outdated (at least for OBM part) terminology wise, but technology wise everything is still supposed to work (unless something has changed on the ArcSight ESM side which I cannot comment).

Just don't expect that creating an ArcSight connected server would magically provide this integration. It may be just 1% of all the effort you have to make to achieve what you want. I'm not even sure that it's required for your use case, as this ArcSight connected server type was designed for a totally different use case - using Monitoring Automation to deploy policies of type ArcSight to ArcSight Logger (not ArcSight ESM).

4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

It's not clear what exactly you are trying to achieve, i.e. what exact integration use case(s) you are after. Creating a connected server on its own doesn't make any sense.

You may want to check info on OMi - ArcSight ESM integration that is supported and see if it meets your needs: https://docs.microfocus.com/integrations/Integrations/Integration_915.html

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello Dmitry!

I have a case to collect data from several monitoring systems, combine them and build a Service Resource Model. One of the tasks in this case is to connect ArcSight ESM to OBM.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

That means you want to integrate events from ArcSight ESM into OBM. You may want to check the corresponding docs in the link I provided to see how this integration is designed to work. But keep in mind that the docs are seriously outdated (at least for OBM part) terminology wise, but technology wise everything is still supposed to work (unless something has changed on the ArcSight ESM side which I cannot comment).

Just don't expect that creating an ArcSight connected server would magically provide this integration. It may be just 1% of all the effort you have to make to achieve what you want. I'm not even sure that it's required for your use case, as this ArcSight connected server type was designed for a totally different use case - using Monitoring Automation to deploy policies of type ArcSight to ArcSight Logger (not ArcSight ESM).

Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Dmitry!
Thanks for the detailed answer.
I understand that the connection is only a small stage of work.
But without him, the remaining tasks are not even accessible.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.