Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Outstanding Contributor.. RamkumarA Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Monitor servers hosted in AWS cloud using OMi 10.63

Hi Experts,

Is it possible to monitor Windows and RedHat Linux servers on AWS cloud using the OMi instance hosted on our traditional data center ?

If yes, what are the pre-requisites.

Thanks,
Ram.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Santombi Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: Monitor servers hosted in AWS cloud using OMi 10.63

Hi Ram,

you can look into the Marketplace offering (OMi MP for AWS)

http://marketplace.microfocus.com/itom/content/obm-management-pack-for-amazon-web-services-aws

take care,

Spiros

0 Likes

Hi Santombi,

My requirement is not to monitor the AWS services and performance metrics of AWS. Instead , I would like to monitor the OS parameters like disk, CPU, memory, syslog of the Windows/Unix servers hosted in AWS cloud. Management Pack for Infra can be used here, but how about the OA install on cloud nodes, agent communication with OMi, etc.

The OMi instance sits in the traditional data center located outside of AWS cloud environment and this OMi instance already monitors several thousands of on-premise nodes running OA 12 agents.

Thanks,

Ram.

0 Likes
Deepak1 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi,

Yes it is possible. But parameters are limited. Definelty CPU, disk and all we can monitor using AWS MP.

we need to have one proxy node- nothing but agent on one server and server should be exposed to internet.

and you need to have AWS Access Key and AWS Secret Key. Deploy AWS discovery aspect on the proxy agent using keys. this aspect would discover couple of AWS service such as EC2 instance,

Post discovery you can deploy the required aspect.

example - EC2 instance health aspect would do monitoring the below parameter as i remember 1.60 version.

New version might have contain extra parameters:

CPU, DISK, instance status, network performance

0 Likes

Hi Deepak1,

Please correct me if i am wrong, My understanding of using OMi MP for AWS is to monitor the AWS specific metrics and not related to the OS monitoring of nodes hosted in AWS cloud. Is that correct ?

I can see the following policies under "EC2 Instance Health" aspect, Does it monitors the OS layer of servers hosted in AWS cloud ?

EC2Instance_CPUUtilization
EC2Instance_DiskPerformance
EC2Instance_Status

Regarding this setup using proxy OA agent, Does it require the OA agent to be installed on the individual servers hosted in the cloud ?

Thanks,
Ram.

0 Likes
Deepak1 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

HI Ram,

Yes, EC2 is nothing but VM's. In AWS terms we call it EC2.  

Yes it monitor OS layer.. 

And no, no need to install Agent on each node.. 

Just have one proxy node- install agent on node in on-primisies, the proxy node should have internet. once you deploy the discovery policy using key's via proxy node it collect the topology information and metric of AWS service via this proxy node.

Please refer the AWS MP doc.

EC2Instance_CPUUtilization
EC2Instance_DiskPerformance
EC2Instance_Status

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for the clarification.

Apart from the solution using proxy agent with AWS access keys, Is it possible to follow the usual way of deploying the Operations Agent on the cloud nodes and ask them to configure the port 383/TCP with OMi server sits on outside data center.

1) Can OA be installed on the servers hosted in AWS ?

2) Does AWS allows port 383 communication with outside network to talk with OMi server ..Will there be any security concern from AWS side.  Any idea.

Thanks,

Ram.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. andreask Outstanding Contributor..

I think this should be possible but need a outbound-only configuration to access the agents.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.