Highlighted
OpenView_Mike Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

OBM/OMi: Backup, Restore and/or Disaster Recovery Procedure Needed Previous to Upgrade to OBM

The History: Around two months ago, I logged in on a Monday and found both my OBM 2018.05 Gateway and DPS down. So, I started up the processes and everything seemed to work fine. However, the same thing happened when I logged in on the Monday preceding the Christmas Holiday, and this time, the DPS would not start. It does not get past the Validation phase, in fact. I've ran the dbValidator and checkIndexes tools and they come back fine. I also re-ran the configuration tool on both the DPS and Gateway, which does complete successfully. However,  the  DPS still does not start and the Gateway hangs forever (I let it run overnight) on the startup of the odb process.

Now, with that said, I want to upgrade to 2018.11 - However, I cannot even  begin the process, as when I attempt to start the upgrade it won't even start, since all of the processes are not running.

I've had a ticket open for two weeks on this and there has been no progress whatsoever. So, I asked for a backup and restore/disaster recovery process, and in short, do not want to lose all of the Workspaces, Dashboards, Pages, intregrations with NNMi, SiteScope, etc. that are already in place.

The only way  I've seen to save the Workspaces, etc. is to use the JMX Console, but I cannot log into the JMX Console, since the processes are not all started. 

I will re-read the PDFs sent to me, but figured it was worth a shot posting this to the forum, to see if someone has a more elegant manner of going about this, so I do not have to create one to several elements from square one.

Thank you!

~ OpenView Mike

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Re: OBM/OMi: Backup, Restore and/or Disaster Recovery Procedure Needed Previous to Upgrade to OBM

Hi Michael,

Hope your day is going well. Regarding your request, OMi provides a Disaster Recovery Option and available backup methods. Attached you will find the official documents:

-Disaster Recovery

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Bridge_Manager:2018.05/OMi/AdminGuide/Disaster/disaster_overview

-Back up databases:

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Bridge_Manager:2018.05/Database/dep_backing_up_dbases

Another option is implementing a high availability configuration

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Bridge_Manager:2018.05/OMi/AdminGuide/HA/ha_overview

Best Regards.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. andreask Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: OBM/OMi: Backup, Restore and/or Disaster Recovery Procedure Needed Previous to Upgrade to OBM

Hi,

I got a similar issue at a customer. Sometimes the HA TAble in the DB got corrupted and OMi doesnt start and also show no real error messages as it waits for ever.

This is a known issue with 10.1x and 10.6x but cant tell if its still there in 10.7x.

PostgreSQL databases:

DELETE FROM HA_WRITER;

DELETE FROM JGROUPSPING;

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Manager_i:10.63/OMi/AdminGuide/Troubleshooting/general_troubleshooting

As a disaster recovery my customer uses 1) daily backup of piostgres db and 2 )every 3 days they do a VM snapsot. in Dezember one custoemr suffers froma SAN Failure an he was forced to restore a VM Snapshot. worked like a charm. now they do this everyday.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.