Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
baggord Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Performance Perspective Dashboards

Jump to solution

Hello,

I want create a dashboard that will list Filesystem usage information (empty space%) for each file system.

In my environment, nodes doesn't have to have fixed number of filesystems. Some has C:, D: while others have F:.

OMi force me to select Instance Name (C:). I want a simple screen where I can see filesystem information for any given node.

Regards,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Performance Perspective Dashboards

Jump to solution

You can create a parameterised dashboard.  Here is an example, based on the data being in the Operations agent.

Select a node CI that has an agent on it.  Create a new dashboard and in that dashboard create a chart that contains the Data Source (Operations Agent), Class (FILESYSTEM) and metric (FS_SPACE_UTIL).  Then click "Back to Dashboard".

Now create the parameter:

Click the Configure Dashboard icon (next to the calendar icon on the top right of the screen).
Click the Parameterisation tab.
Click Add.
Enter a name for the parameter.  Eg Filesystem.
Select the Data Source - Operations Agent.
Select the Class Name - FILESYSTEM.
No need to change the regex if you want all filesystems to be visible to select.
Click Add.
Click Close.

Now edit the chart to use the new parameter:

Edit the chart.
In the Instance Name field, select $Filesystem.
Make sure the Label contains @@INSTANCENAME
Click Back to Dashboard.

Now you see the $Filesystem parameter at the top of the screen and can select one or more of the filesystems.

CP.

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

You can create a parameterised dashboard.  Here is an example, based on the data being in the Operations agent.

Select a node CI that has an agent on it.  Create a new dashboard and in that dashboard create a chart that contains the Data Source (Operations Agent), Class (FILESYSTEM) and metric (FS_SPACE_UTIL).  Then click "Back to Dashboard".

Now create the parameter:

Click the Configure Dashboard icon (next to the calendar icon on the top right of the screen).
Click the Parameterisation tab.
Click Add.
Enter a name for the parameter.  Eg Filesystem.
Select the Data Source - Operations Agent.
Select the Class Name - FILESYSTEM.
No need to change the regex if you want all filesystems to be visible to select.
Click Add.
Click Close.

Now edit the chart to use the new parameter:

Edit the chart.
In the Instance Name field, select $Filesystem.
Make sure the Label contains @@INSTANCENAME
Click Back to Dashboard.

Now you see the $Filesystem parameter at the top of the screen and can select one or more of the filesystems.

CP.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

This is actually how I solved the problem last weekend. Thanks for info though! Still, I want to share another problem which is related with this one.

For some servers, the dashboard (Parameterised) I created doesn't work and returns N/A.  Default dashboard (System Overview, Stats) works on these servers and shows accurate data. Also, agent works fine.

Do you have any idea about this issue?

Regards,

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

If you edit the chart and replace $Parameter with an actual instance, does it show data?  If so, focus on the parameterisation as follows:
1. Click "Back to Dashboard".
2. Does the drop list of parameter values show a list of values?  If so, can you unselect all and then select all?
3. If no list of values, then edit the parameter and run the regex to see if it shows a list of values.  If you have tuned the regex then delete it so it just returns all values.
4. If it still doesn't work, then what version of OBM are you using?  I think at this point you would need to open a support case.

CP.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

It doesn't show data when I select the original instance instead of parameter. So, the problem is not about $parameter, still there is a problem to fix.

The output I get with opcagt -status is below. Agent seems healthy.

Output:

dsisrv (DSI service) (1912) Running
midaemon (measurement interface) (2372) Running
misrv (measurement interface service) (1996) Running
ttd (transaction tracking) (2640) Running
ttsrv (transaction tracking service) (2436) Running
Mwecsrv (extended collection service) (1560) Running
agtrep OV Discovery Agent AGENT,AgtRep (4900) Running 
hpsensor Compute Sensor AGENT,OA (5248) Running 
oacore Operations Agent Core AGENT,OA (4356) Running 
ompolparm OM Parameter Handler AGENT,EA (5372) Running 
opcacta OVO Action Agent AGENT,EA (5784) Running 
opcle OVO Logfile Encapsulator AGENT,EA (4920) Running 
opcmona OVO Monitor Agent AGENT,EA (5604) Running 
opcmsga OVO Message Agent AGENT,EA (6056) Running 
ovbbccb OV Communication Broker CORE (3748) Running 
ovcd OV Control CORE (1244) Running 
ovconfd OV Config and Deploy COREXT (4420) Running

Agent Health Status: OK, Time:Thu Apr 11 13:57:37 2019

Message Agent is not buffering.

Thanks for your help and guidance!

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Since you confirmed you can see data for the agent if you select the System Overview Stats dashboard, some other things to double-check:

1. Check the date range is what you intend.  For example, sometimes users change the date/time via the Date Range Panel icon for one dashboard and then switch to another dashboard and forget that they are still working with that same timeframe where there were no metrics for that CI at that time.
2. In the menu (this is the vertical ellipsis icon next to the dashboard name), click Refresh Data Source or Clear Cache to force PD to reload the meta data for either the selected CI or all CIs respectively.  This is helpful if you have recently defined a new metric on the agent after you have been using PD to graph data from the agent such that PD has a cache that it thinks doesn't need to be refreshed yet.
3. Check that the chosen metric(s) are defined and have values on the agent.  For example:
On the OBM GW you can remotely check the list of metrics defined on the agent:
Linux: /opt/HP/BSM/JRE/bin/java -jar jcodautil.jar -obj -n mgdnode.fqdn
Windows: %TOPAZ_HOME%\JRE\bin\java -jar jcodautil.jar -obj -n mgdnode.fqdn
On the agent, you can do the equivalent:
ovcodautil -obj
To check the values, see if the data source exists (eg in case you have created a custom data source):
ovcodautil -showds
Then output the latest value of the metrics in that data source and note the timestamp as well:
ovcodautil -dumpds <datasource>
If your problem is with a specific instance of multi-instance data, then be sure that this output contains your instance name.
4. If the data is there and PD can't see it, then check pmi.log on the GW server to which your UI is logged in:
Linux: /opt/HP/BSM/log/pmi/pmi.log
Windows: %TOPAZ_HOME%\log\pmi\pmi.log
When you attempt to graph a metric, check the log for clues on why it might be failing.

CP.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I found this line in %BSMHOME%\log\pmi\pmi.log

2019-04-16 11:36:45,003[ajp-/127.0.0.1:8009-2] ERROR: com.hp.pmi.rest.helper.DataHandler:createGraphDataForError() -> No data found for selected resources testserver01

- Agent works fine. (opcagt -status, I don't know if there is something else to check ?)

- It's is not about the parameterisation. (When I select the instance name directly, it still doesn't show the data)

- On same agent, same Data Instance (Global > Global Disk Util Peak) works in default dashboard. Doesn't work in my dashboard. Returns N/A. I did clean the cache. Do you have any idea ?

Thanks. Regards,

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Strange that for the same CI and metric combination you can see the value in one dashboard but not in another.  Could you edit the two charts and compare the instance name to see if it is the same?

Another option: Do you have the luxury of restarting the gateway server to see if that sorts out the issue?

Otherwise I think you might want to open a Support case.

CP.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Yes, it's pretty strange. Instance names are the same. Everything is the same.

I don't think restart would solve it. Since I just restarted last week and I've this problem for far more than one week. I'll open a Support case even though I have no hope in it.

I'm still open to any ideas/suggestions.

Thanks for the helps! Regards,

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.