Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.

Allow disabling of liquibase processing on Central startup

Idea ID 1763268

Allow disabling of liquibase processing on Central startup

0 Votes

Liquibase processing on central startup intermittently causes an issue in a cluster preventing cluster nodes from coming up if a lock was not properly released. Support has indicated there is no method to disable liquibase on startup --- I would like to be able to disable between patch applications. 

3 Comments
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

@JarodMB ,

When performing an upgrade, if you are using a cluster, you need to manually stop all the Central and RASes instances. Here is the relevant documentation: https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Orchestration:2018.12/Upgrade/Upgrade_to_latest_OO_version_from_previous_versions#Stop_cluster_instances_manually

If you are doing this and you still have issues with the DB locks, there is this script that might help solve the lock issue: central\bin\release-log-lock

Disabling the liquidbase processing at startup is not something that we want to allow because it will introduce additional problems that will eventually break the application.

Please let me know if this information is useful, as we will need to decline this idea.

Thank you,
Florin

Outstanding Contributor.. JarodMB Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

My problems aren't at upgrade time but the months in between when startup of the cluster nodes rely on processing unnecessary liquibase changes. I appreciate the feedback - from my perspective the process is flawed but MicroFocus has made it more than clear in several direct messages and this on forum response that this isn't going to be changed and a hacky workaround for problems when central starts and fails to release a lock will be needed. 

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Declined

As explained, this is not the desired behavior or a functionality that OO would like to support. The db lock issues might occur when the OO nodes were not gracefully shut down, but for this issue we will need to consider improving the recovery mechanism. OO is considering this aspect for future improvements of the platform.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.