able to copy/paste server names from excel and CSV in HPOO.

able to copy/paste server names from excel and CSV in HPOO.

Production : HPOO.

Description :

In HPOO Flows, we have to manually put multiple servers separated by delimiter "

" or ",".

Many users are want to have a feature which will be able to copy/paste server names from excel (where servers are in one column and each server is on a separate row).

Most of enterprise software supports importability from common spreadsheet such as Excel and CSV.

Tags (1)
8 Comments
Niels Walta Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Just in case this suggestion doesn't get approved: we're doing something similar by having our flows grab data from CSV files in predetermined (server) folders, or from attachments in tickets. The former allows our users to just save their files and work with them like they're used to, the latter is more preferable when we want to track changes.

Then, once we've accessed the data, we can process it however we want. We can choose to schedule the flow, allowing OO to poll regularly for new items or have the flows triggered by our ITSM instance.

Contributor.. Justin K Contributor..
Contributor..

Thanks Niels for a quick response.

Can you tell me little more about this flow which can grab data from predetermined CSV file? We can modify our current flows if this can grab CSV file.

Thanks

Respected Contributor.

Sure thing, @Justin K! We have several different methods, depending on the needs of the user or what is technically feasible.

For example, we have Windows based Workers with shared folders which people can access or network folders on a shared drive. In both cases we've made sure that the flows can also access these locations, allowing them to use file-based operations. For this we use either the file-based operations OO provides or we (used to) use the Remote Command operation to just dump the contents of the file to system output. In both cases, CSV files should "merely" be plain text so we can use filters to filter the data in OO to get it in the shape that we want.

Once we've confirmed this works, we do things like make the flow read all available files in the folder, move processed files to a separate location, and schedule the flow to run at set intervals.

All that combined makes it so that users only need to be concerned with editing their Excel-sheets (and saving them as CSV to the right location), and the flow will take care of the rest.

(Using tickets in ITSM works the same in principle, but instead of placing a file in a folder users attach their CSV-file to a ticket. After this ITSM triggers the flow, and using the ticket number the flow is able to retrieve the attachment and process its content.)

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

@Justin K , I would like to better understand the use case.

Can you please share where you would like to see this feature? Is this something you would like to have at authoring time, in the Workflow Designer, or at run time, in the Central?

I believe what Neils is suggesting is the best aproach for the run time scenario. This unless you manually trigger the flows.

Thanks,
Florin

Contributor.. Justin K Contributor..
Contributor..

Hi, Florin.

This is for end-users who run health checks on multiple servers on daily basis. 

We changed the flow to take whitespace as delimitor to resovle the problem. 

We no longer need this feature.

Thank you.

HB1409
New Member.

@Niels Walta Little new to Orchestrator...

Exactly looking for the operations/ flow executions you have suggested.

1. Unable to find file-based operations in Library actually. Further after creating content pack, can an end user of OO URL import a csv at their desktop and run the flow as per his/ her requirement? Or the file must be present on a particular server?

2. How have to achieved integration to ITSM with OO to process action on ITSM Ticket? 

Respected Contributor.

Hi @HB1409. The following are only my personal suggestions from our experiences. Whatever works best for you might be different depending on what you have available.

1. The file-based operations we're using are simply the ones from the MF Base content pack, found under Library/Operations/File System. Ideal for sourcing local files from the Workers, perhaps with a (network) share we've made for users to access. Or what we mostly do is read from a centrally accessible server, by using the operations under Library/Operations/Remote Command Execution.
But if you want a user to be able to import files from their desktop, I'm not sure this can be done directly with OO just yet. I'm pretty certain you could get to a solution using Micro Focus RPA and agents on the user's desktop, but we don't have much experience with that yet.

Perhaps someone from Micro Focus could confirm the above?

2. We integrated with ITSM via the product's API and made some operations of our own around that, for specific use cases. Vice versa, ITSM is able to use the OO API to trigger flows. Quite specifically, the ITSM team is making use of their own specific workflows (in ITSM) where at specific tasks OO flows are triggered. These flows do their thing, they read or change records as needed, while ITSM waits. Once done, ITSM notices the OO flow run is done and continues.

I'm not sure whether I can go deeper into technical details, but hopefully this gives you a rough idea of how you could arrange a process to suit your needs.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.