Samaadan Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Automating OS provisioning using OO , vCenter and SA

Trying to create flow on OO to automate OS provisioning. So far have done the following

1. Created a OS Build Plan (Tested manually, works as intended, Once a blanck VM is created and if i manully PXE boot the SA also pushes the OS)

2. Created a Flow in OO :

a. Pulls the list of variables from the ticketing system (CPU, Memory, VLAN, Datacenter, CLuster ...,)

b Creates a Blank VM with teh details Gathered

c. Configured the network with the DHCP network (SA is configured to listen and push the build agent on this network)

d. Power ON the VM

The gap that i am facing is i have to manully PXE boot the VM that was powered on to start the OS provisioning process. How can I automate this missing step.

As a secondary option tried using the Start OS Build Plan operations, but the Blank VM that i create using the OO dosent show up under the "Unprovisioned Servers" (Does show up under the list of VM servers). Not sure how to automate this, any suggestion would be helpful.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.. sdeff Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Automating OS provisioning using OO , vCenter and SA

i think it has something to do with the Agent.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. jhlavka Absent Member..
Absent Member..

it is necessary to register the new VM in SA. it is important to know the MAC address of the new VM.
Registration through OO can be done in SA this registration.
Subsequently, the VM is started and the connection is automatically deployovan SA.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. wsmaga Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I have faced the same problem last week. Finally, I've got it working. What you need is (IIRC) to fill following properties for Create VM step, aside for usual stuff like CPUs, RAM, etc (example is fro VMWare + RHELx64 provisioning):

- vmwareNicName - some arbitrary name

- vmwareNicKey - number of NIC object in the VM, I also used some arbitrary number like 55

- vmwareNicNetworkName - network that will be used for provisioning in VMWare

- vmwareAdapterNicType - I just used E1000

- vmwareNicIsMacDynamic - true

- vmwareNicConnectAtStartup - true

- guestId - rhel6_64Guest

and to the point:

- osbpName - os build plan, for me it was "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 6 X86_64 Install"

- provisioningNetwork - same number as NicKey (55 in my case)

- bootIsoName - in my case it was "HPSA_linux_boot_cd_X86-64.iso" for x64 Linux

I removed "pxeBootImage" property as it was not needed.

Works like a charm: creates VM, launches HPSA_linux_boot_cd_X86-64.iso, puts machine in Maintenance Mode and installs RHEL using Build Plan, finally reboots VM to normal operation.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.