REDELL Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HP Operations Orchestration Automation Execution Plugin

Hi,

I would like to know if any of the nonstop developers had used - HP Operations Orchestration Automation Execution Plugin.

I found a link below not sure how can it be useful in our development.  Is it compatible in our current system?

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/HP+Operations+Orchestration+Automation+Execution+Plugin

Where to do begin?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: HP Operations Orchestration Automation Execution Plugin

Hi Redell,

Depending on what is your use case.

You can start by installing the Jenking plugin for OO in your Jenkins server and then configure a job that trigger OO flows. You can, for example, build an OO content pack automatically in Jenkins and then trigger a flow in OO that automates the testing process.

Is this what you have in mind to enhance your development process? 

Lucian

0 Likes
REDELL Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Lucian,

Thank you for your immediate response.  I really appreciate you kindness.

Please bear with me as my background is the old-fashioned way green screen of HP Tandem-Nonstop.

When you say use case - what is the meaning of that?

Currently we just moved all our COBOL/TAL source codes to be in GIT repository instead of nonstop production environment.

As you've mentioned my steps will be.

1. Install Jenkins plugin for OO in Jenkins server - how do i check if we have Jenkins server?

2. Configure a job that trigger OO flow - I'm so sorry what does this mean. I'm totally lost.  Can you please guide me thru example.  A screen capture if you don't mind?

I was asked to see if the  HP Operations Orchestration Automation Execution Plugin  is compatible with our current nonstop and how we could make use of it.

Hopefully you can help me thru the process.  Thank very much for you time.

Redell

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Redell,

My original reply was under the impression that you are using HPE Operations Orchestration today and you wan to enhance the continous integration/deployment of HPE OO content by using the Automation Execution Plugin, apologizes for that.

HPE Operations Orchestration is the most common and powerful process automation workflow engine.

The  plugin you've mentioned below enables Jenkins  (common build system used  for example to package software automatically) to trigger HPE Operations Orchestration workdlows.

An example of an use case can be:

• Jenkins monitors code changes in Git repository
  • When someone commits a change; Jenkins automatically creates a package of your application
  • After the package is created Jenkins triggers (using the Automation Plugin) an OO flow that deploys the package created in the prev step on multiple NonStop devevelopment instances

To use the plugin you need to have at least one Jenkins instance and HPE Operations Orchestration running. Currently OO is not supported for NonStop. I'm not sure about Jenkins support got NonStop. 

The step by step instructions to install this plugin are llisted here:  https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/HP+Operations+Orchestration+Automation+Execution+Plugin  

So, there are several items that you should consider such as:

- What process you want to automate? OO can automate almost every process so you need to identify what you want to do with OO

- Get a bit familiar with DevOps term and the tools used when dealing with DevOps scenarions; You mentioned Git it is very common SCM used in combination with Jenkins build system

- Then try to install the plugin as mentioned above.

HTH,

Lucian

0 Likes
REDELL Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Lucian,

Yes you are correct - Currently we are not using HPE Operations Orchestration.  That will be my action plan
task to use HPE OO.  That is why I'm gathering all the information/s I can get. I appreciate your assitance
looking into my inquiry.

Yes you are correct again - the objective of the task is the make the process automation workflow automatic.

Definitely all these cases are exactly what we have in mind.  You read my mind. 
I want to learn all these cases and present to the team.

An example of an use case can be:
• Jenkins monitors code changes in Git repository
• When someone commits a change; Jenkins automatically creates a package of your application
• After the package is created Jenkins triggers (using the Automation Plugin) an OO flow
  that deploys the package created in the prev step on multiple NonStop devevelopment instances

I will look into the installation link.
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/HP+Operations+Orchestration+Automation+Execution+Plugin 

But I'm not sure what are the prerequisite intalling the above?  Do i need Jenkins server or something like that?

I will try and will get back to you.

Thanks very much,
Redell

0 Likes
REDELL Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Lucian,

I've installed Jenkins and the HPE OO plugin.

I'm stuck in the configuration.  Truststore file field. ?   Any idea

"In the Truststore File field, enter the absolute path of the JKS truststore used for communication with the Operations   Orchestration server over SSL."

Thanks,

Redell

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Redell,

Trustore is a file used by Jenkins to connect to other systems through SSL. In case you are using HTTP connection (not reccomended) the file will not be used. In case you are using HTTPS connection to OO you should ensure OO certificate is imported in trustore.

Please find more details on certificates here:

- https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19830-01/819-4712/ablqw/index.html 

- https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Starting+and+Accessing+Jenkins

HTH,

Lucian

0 Likes
REDELL Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Lucian,

Sorry haven't logon for awhile.  Also I have to reset my logon password.  :-).

Thanks very much for the all the helpful information.  I will look into the link you've mentioned.

Regards,

Redell

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.