Absent Member.. mathinasulthan Absent Member..
Absent Member..

How to execute single scenario for multiple values in hpoo

Jump to solution

My task is to execute server health check workflow for multiple host at once.How to send multiple host values(input) to workflow one by one to execute workflow?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. apresence Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: How to execute single scenario for multiple values in hpoo

Jump to solution

You can do this by calling a sub-flow from your (parent) workflow and toggling multi-instance on that sub-flow.  One of your inputs to the sub-flow should be the list of hosts (or whatever) in a delimited string.  Within the parent flow, set that input to "List of Values" and enter the delimiter.  Your sub-flow will then get called once per each host and will execute in parallel.  Your sub-flow should be written to work on just one item end-to-end (do the health check for one host).

A few notes:

1. You will likely want to limit the number of child flows that run concurrently.  This can be done by looking at the Advanced tab of the sub-flow step (in the parent flow) and checking/entering a value in the "Throttle parallel execution ..." area.  If you want this based on an input variable, you can put it there instead of a hard-coded value.  For example: "${numThreads}"

2. Studio is single-threaded so any flows you are debugging there will only run one at a time (they will run in parallel outside of Studio, however)

3. There are limits to how many items you can reasonably process in this manner.  The more items you have to process, the longer it will take your flow to execute.  This might seem intuitive, but when I say longer I mean it might take 1 minute to do 100 items, but an hour to do 1000

Regarding #3, I haven't found a better way to handle this.  If anyone has suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.. JasonCantrell Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hello Mathinasulthan,

I am an OO support representative and will be researching your question.  I will find a solution for you and post it today.

Kind Regards,

Jason

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. apresence Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

You can do this by calling a sub-flow from your (parent) workflow and toggling multi-instance on that sub-flow.  One of your inputs to the sub-flow should be the list of hosts (or whatever) in a delimited string.  Within the parent flow, set that input to "List of Values" and enter the delimiter.  Your sub-flow will then get called once per each host and will execute in parallel.  Your sub-flow should be written to work on just one item end-to-end (do the health check for one host).

A few notes:

1. You will likely want to limit the number of child flows that run concurrently.  This can be done by looking at the Advanced tab of the sub-flow step (in the parent flow) and checking/entering a value in the "Throttle parallel execution ..." area.  If you want this based on an input variable, you can put it there instead of a hard-coded value.  For example: "${numThreads}"

2. Studio is single-threaded so any flows you are debugging there will only run one at a time (they will run in parallel outside of Studio, however)

3. There are limits to how many items you can reasonably process in this manner.  The more items you have to process, the longer it will take your flow to execute.  This might seem intuitive, but when I say longer I mean it might take 1 minute to do 100 items, but an hour to do 1000

Regarding #3, I haven't found a better way to handle this.  If anyone has suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.