Dondon22 Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Ideal session timeout for Remote Command Execution step for Windows?

I asked the question because my OO was timing out if processing exceeds 20 minutes using Remote Command Execution step for Windows, don't know if it is the ideal settings but I am thinking to increase up the maximum I can achieve...

Any tips? Past experience? Pros and Cons?

Thanks in advance 🙂

In IT there is no Magic, just Logic ^_^
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Established Member.. TerrySummers
Established Member..

Re: Ideal session timeout for Remote Command Execution step for Windows?

We have increased the maximium possible timeout to 6 hours without issue.
IMOHO there is no "ideal" session timeout, It comes down to the environment and the requirements.
We increased the global timeout to 6 hours, then for each remote command we could tell one to timeout after 30 minutes and a second to timeout after 2 hours and another to timeout after 6 hours.

So you have a per command timeout, BUT also there is a global catch all timeout specified in the wrapper.conf.
Set the global to the absolute maximium ANY command will take, then in each of your flows you can customise it up or down for the actual operation.

Cheers

Terry

Respected Contributor.

Can you tell me which part in the wrapper.conf defines the catch all timeout?

I noticed even if I set my command timeout to more than 20 minutes, still it times out after 20 min.

I have this one in my settings which was set to 30 minutes if this is in seconds:

wrapper.java.additional.12=-Dras.client.timeout=1800

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

What is the OO version you are using? What is the OO Base content pack version you are using?

Thanks,

Lucian

0 Likes
Established Member..

Ahhh, the flipping between milliseconds and seconds and the RAS vs the central.
PLEASE NOTE : I'm running HPOO 9.07 still, but I think much the same options are available in later versions.

Central has a timeout that waits for the RAS to report back and also the RAS has a timeout for when it reports back to central.
The x in below obviously increments depending on how many wrapper.java.additional lines you have.

So under the wrapper.conf in E:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Operations Orchestration\Central\conf for central itself I have
# Override RAS timeout 7200 = 2 hours set to 6 hours (21600 seconds)
wrapper.java.additional.x=-Dras.client.timeout=21600

Then comes the Central RAS wrapper.conf which actually does the work under E:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Operations Orchestration\RAS\Java\Default\webapp\conf for me

#Override Default RAS timeout of 20 minutes (to 6 hours in milliseconds)
wrapper.java.additional.x=-Ddharma.ras.client.timeout=21600000
You will need to do this for any remote RAS you have where you expect long running commands on the remote RAS.

Then you can use the timeout in the remote command execution to set the minimium timeout as such for each flow/operation.

Cheers
Terry

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Ok, that's the one I'm missing I didn't have that settings in my RAS... now I changed my RAS wrapper.conf file adding that additional settings... let me see from there...

I am also using OO 9.07 🙂

0 Likes
Established Member..

Think of it as a timeout Central waits for the RAS to come back saying command completed, but also the RAS has it's own timeout for the command to complete and report back to central.
UNDER that you have an overriding option in the remote command itself so you can custimose it.
I set the higher level timeouts to the maximium I expect, then I can customise at a sub-flow/operation level if the operation is taking too long.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.