Respected Contributor.. relent0r Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Is there a character limit on vmware clone vm operation

Hi Guys

Content Pack is HP Virtualisation 1.7.

Operation is 'Clone Virtual Machine'

We have an issue where we have two templates with similar names, one has the word clone on the end. We are passing the input for 'virtualMachine' as the friendly name of the template.

When the operation is run it reports that we're trying to deploy a template that shares a name with another.

Failure shows as

The specified name: "Template Name Here" matched 2 VirtualMachine objects in the specified root. Please use a more specific identifier.

I've checked the content doc and not seen any mention of a character limit for this input but it seems like its not seeing the full name for the other template when it trys to select it.

I imagine we could take a different avenue and change it to use the vmid instead of the friendly name to get around this issue. But just wondering if anyone else has come across it.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
ligia_centea
New Member.

Re: Is there a character limit on vmware clone vm operation

Hi,

Isn't there, in your datacenter, any VM or template with the same name as the one you are trying to clone? This operation will look for a VM/template with the given name in the datacenter that you specifie and throws an error if it finds more VMs with the same name.

Can you check this?

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. relent0r Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Re: Is there a character limit on vmware clone vm operation

Thanks Ligia_centea

Turned out there was a vm hidden away that someone had created recently with the same name as the template being used. Given I don't have control over things like that I'll switch to using the template vmid to mitigate it in the future.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.