Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

MS SQL 2014 Fail Over Cluster with OO 10.60 ?

Hello Team,

We have OO 10.50 running on MS SQL 2012 ( Non-Clustered) and we want to upgrade to MS SQL 2014 and also to set it up with a cluster fail-over instance.

However, As it mentioned in OO 10.60 Database Guide it supported ?

( Always On Support chapter : Page 24) https://lnast01pcache.saas.hpe.com/asset/resources/pd/oo/1oo1460899381/OO10.60_Database_Guide.pdf

"Connection to SQL Server 2014 "Always On" is supported including the “MultiSubnetFailover” feature, but have not been certified for HPE OO 10.60.
"

I am wondering what does that means by " but have not been certified for HPE OO 10.60 " and what is the required to switch OO from the Non-cluster Database instance to the Fail-Over cluster instance ?

Looking forward to seeing your consultant  ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Reda

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Harar-Zafrir Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: MS SQL 2014 Fail Over Cluster with OO 10.60 ?

Dear Reda,

Let me first answer briefly and then in details...

1. Unfortunately OO 10.50 does not support MS-SQL 2014...
  2. You should be able to set up OO 10.60 or later on a SQL Server 2014 Always On database cluster

The "not certified" paragraph means OO does not perform rigorous testing on such a setup (SQL Server 2014 Always On database cluster).

Now in details:

OO 10.50 connectivity to SQL Server databases is based on JTDS JDBC driver (which does not officially support SQL Server 2014). OO 10.60 or later, rely on Microsoft's JDBC driver which supports 2014, and also supports better / more complex database cluster connectivity.

OO's installer / Upgrade utility do not provide options for database cluster connectivity.

However, you may edit OO's JDBC URL (database connection URL) in central installation's "conf" folder (the file name is database.properties), and alter the URL in a way that matches your environment, including a database cluster. Some examples are provided in the Database Guide.

The OO 10.60 Database Guide contains a section that begins with "If OO is being upgraded to 10.60 and and the SQL Server database is being upgraded to 2014 simultaneously..." This section describes what needs to be done in your case.

Summary:

• Upgrade from 10.50 to 10.60 using the same MSSQL 2012 database (non-clustered)
  • Migrate the 2012 database itself to the 2014 MSSQL database cluster (remember to also migrate roles, privileges, etc)
  • Manually edit/reformat OO's database connection URL (all OO's central servers) to use Microsof't JDBC connector and the new 2014 database

Let me know if you have additional questions

Harar

0 Likes

Re: MS SQL 2014 Fail Over Cluster with OO 10.60 ?

Hello Harar, 

Thank you for the quick respond support. 

I think your post is sufficient at the moment and in case any things coming up I will not hesitate to post here again.

Thanks again 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.