New Member.. smkzone
New Member..

Managing HPOO Content Packs

Jump to solution

Hi Folks,

This is a question related to managing HPOO Content packs across Dev, QA and PROD environments.

Is there any standard way of Handing over Content packs (Created out of Studio)  to the end user? means from

• Dev env to QA env.
  • Once QA testing passed, CPs and dependencies finalized,  QA env to PROD env.

As of now we just upload the CPs to our common network share and provide the path to End user.

I also explored on NEXUS OSS binary repository but I don't see any interface / UI in OO Studio or Central to integrate with it. As of now i've to 

• Manually Upload the Content Pack via Maven Deploy Plugin
  • Provide the Content Pack path my end user.
  • Manage the dependencies myself (in Nexus 5), the default POM file generated in Content pack resides the JAR file. Also I have no control over changing GroupID part of my content packs.

Am I doing something wrong here or reinventing the wheel ? Please let me know

- Is there any standard way of achieving this?

- is there any Software from HPE / or 3rd party can resolve this need?

Note: I've gone through Best practice guides for Content Authoring, Promotions, etc.

Thank you

--

Regards

Murali

HPOO Administrator / Automation Developer.

--
Murali krishnan
Project Lead | Enterprise Automation Systems
CenturyLink Technologies
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lrevnic Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Managing HPOO Content Packs

Jump to solution

Hi Murali,

From you post I understand you are looking for intructions beyond the ones mentioned in Best Practices for Promotion document. There are tools to automate the content developent process and to ensure continous integration and delivery.  

Since there is no standard way I'll divide between the ones I saw most common:

Basic DevOps story:

Where you need basic capabilities such as package CP automatically, run basic tests, upload to artifact management system

- Git/SVN to store flows or operations source code

- Jenkins with OOSHA (the CLI tool for authors released in 10.60) or Maven (for developers)  for packaging content packs automatically and upload them to an artifact management repository automatically; Here you can use Jenkins to OO plugin to invoke OO flows from Jenkins direcly

- Nexus or Artifactory for managing different versions of content packs

You can find a basic DevOps Framework for OO also presented here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQcMKfF4I8  

Complex DevOps story:

Where you want to model gate testing and pipeline (DEV -> QA -> STAG -> PROD) I suggest to have a look at HPE Codar: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/software-solutions/codar-continuous-deployment/

Now, if you want to go beyond OO Content Packs such as to CSA capsules the story may become more complex. For OO CPs the above aproaches are the ones I saw so far.

Hope it helps,

Lucian

5 Replies
lrevnic Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Murali,

From you post I understand you are looking for intructions beyond the ones mentioned in Best Practices for Promotion document. There are tools to automate the content developent process and to ensure continous integration and delivery.  

Since there is no standard way I'll divide between the ones I saw most common:

Basic DevOps story:

Where you need basic capabilities such as package CP automatically, run basic tests, upload to artifact management system

- Git/SVN to store flows or operations source code

- Jenkins with OOSHA (the CLI tool for authors released in 10.60) or Maven (for developers)  for packaging content packs automatically and upload them to an artifact management repository automatically; Here you can use Jenkins to OO plugin to invoke OO flows from Jenkins direcly

- Nexus or Artifactory for managing different versions of content packs

You can find a basic DevOps Framework for OO also presented here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQcMKfF4I8  

Complex DevOps story:

Where you want to model gate testing and pipeline (DEV -> QA -> STAG -> PROD) I suggest to have a look at HPE Codar: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/software-solutions/codar-continuous-deployment/

Now, if you want to go beyond OO Content Packs such as to CSA capsules the story may become more complex. For OO CPs the above aproaches are the ones I saw so far.

Hope it helps,

Lucian

New Member.. smkzone
New Member..

Jump to solution

Hi  Lucian,

Thanks for your to the point Reply. You have touched all the related items for the solution I was asking about in your first item.

Actually I was looking for some framework which connects all these things (OO CPs, Nexus, Jenkins, Deploy to Central, Rest API, etc) together and provide a unified dashboard.  

Yes the video you shared covered 90% of the above framework I was looking for, but in a little fragile, invisible manner. Anyway it was really good to see people thinking in similar lines.

I'm trying HP Codar now. I'll see what it can offer me. 

Thanks again

--

Murali

--
Murali krishnan
Project Lead | Enterprise Automation Systems
CenturyLink Technologies
0 Likes
Contributor.. Sarath_Maruthi Contributor..
Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi  Murali/Lucian,

i was searching for same requirement, i found which is relevant.

Q: How exactly to use OOSHA commands to create CP and deploy to Production central?

we are using One common SCM, where clients deploy CPs, i would like to take CPs from SCM(SVN) and deploy to prod..

Details:  i have to generate mentioned CPs from studio and keep them in artifactory(Repo), from there i have to deploy to Production Central(Using OOSHA), i have gone through OOSHA guide but wasn't clear for me.

your prompt response is appreciated.

Regards,

Sarath

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

To deploy Content Packs to Central you need to use OO Shell CLI that is different than OOSHA.

Details here: https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Orchestration:2019.07/OOSHReferenceTitle

HTH,

Lucian

0 Likes
Contributor.. Sarath_Maruthi Contributor..
Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Lucian,

OOSHA It helped me in generating CPs to certain loacations.

To deploy I have gone through OOSH guide but when am trying to connect to central using connect --url its giving me connection refused error.

can you help me in getting connect to central?

I disabled LWSSO as mentioned in  Document as well.

Regards,

Sarath

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.