OO Support Tip: Access Denied error when using Windows Remote Execution operation
This error is passed back from Windows to OO.
Example error message: (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)
One possible situation this will occur is when RAS and the target host are in different domains or workgroups.
This happens even when the ID is a fully specified Administrator of the target.
Example <ServerName>\ID where ID is a member of the local domain on the target.
This will fail with the above error and can also be seen outside of OO when connecting to Administrative Shares.
Example:from a command prompt: net use * \\<servername>\admin$ /u:<serveranme>\ID
This will produce an access denied error with the return code of 5.
Doing the same operation or command using <ServerName>\Administrator succeeds.
The Windows RCE command by default connects to \\<servername>\ipc$ and \\<servername>\admin$ depending on the OO content version.
This is done to collect the results of the command off the target.
This effects most recent versions of Windows.
This can be changed by editing the registry on the Target.
Using a registry editor do the following:
1. Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
2. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
3. Type LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to name the new entry, and then press ENTER.
4. Right-click LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy, and then click Modify.
5. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
6. Exit Registry Editor.
This knowledge base article and how to edit the registry can be found at: