Dibs Contributor.
Contributor.

Open browser

hi All, 

I am new to HP OO and tried to create a simple flow. My objective is to oepn the browser and open the google website. Please find as attached for the screensht of my flow as the flow prompted an error. 

Thanks 

Regards,

Dibs

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Open browser

For learning and simplicity purposes, start with something like ping.

Don't think in OO (*) for GUI oriented actions, keep on unattended actions. Web browsing means several http requests and responses, not the easiest thing to start with. And the starting point will be http client operations (think on wget or curl style) do not run a command to start a graphical program.

(*) if OO alone; for GUI interartive process, take a look to Robotic Process Automation

Regards,

Ramon

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. RiverRat_1 Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Learning OO can be hard as the first thing is where do you start !!  But something that isn't readily apparent with OO is what it is really good at.  It's REALLY good at things that are string based with using CLI, REST, WADL, WSDL, BAPI - notice I didn't say GUI.  OO can't do GUIs. 

OO is VERY good at sitting between things and gluing them together.

For example, pulling request tickets from HPSM using the HPSM WSDL, categorizing those Line Items into categories for Active Directory, IBM RACF/TSO, and SAP.  Then going through each category list of Line Items and doing whatever the LI is asking for.  AD is integrated with via LDAP API, RACF is integrated with via Telnet, and SAP is integrated with via SAP BAPIs.  Then updating each respective HPMS LI with a comment about success or failure and closing the LI or moving it to another HPMS queue for human intervention.

So I'd start with something like Active Directory.   Get a simple flow to prompt for a User ID and then using an AD query to pull information about that user and dispaly is back.

Another big area in OO to get familiar with is string processing.  Everything in OO is a string.  Nothing is binary.  As you set into REST, WSDL, WADL side of things familarity with XML and JSON is key.   So learning the tricks you may know for XPath Queries or JSON Queries comes into play.  Sometimes XML processing in OO is better and sometimes JSON is better depending on what you are needing to do.  I'm more of an XML type so I typically convert JSON output to an XML document and then go XPath query crazy on the result document.

So start simple ... learn list processing, string processing, boolean logic, parameter passing then start getting a little deeper into things like scriplets and multi-instance and parallel lane structures.

HTH.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Dibs,

In addition to the inputs from my colleagues:

1. When you run remote command execution you are providing a command like this? 

chrome.exe google.com

What exactly is the error? (in the screenshot we see just the flow)

2. In general, please find here some details how you can use OO for UI automation in what is called Robotic Process Automation:

https://software.microfocus.com/en-us/what-is/robotic-process-automation

How Micro Focus delivers RPA

Micro Focus test automation solutions offer tools that allow companies to easily create bots to automate rules-driven business processes. Integrated with Micro Focus operations orchestration, complete actions are automated using workflows that link steps to standardize RPA processes..

Micro Focus supports and extends typical RPA capabilities with:

• A proven automation engine with an array of recording options
  • Failure management through recovery procedures
  • Reliable UI automation with more than 40 technologies, including SAP, Web, WPF, .NET, and Java
  • Pure image-based object recognition (e.g. Flash, Citrix)
  • Reusable business process description-based automation
  • Custom libraries for UI, API, and CLI business actions with predefined connectors for automation
  • Business and deep technical reports with easy-to-find root causes
  • Encoding methods designed to ensure the integrity of passwords
  • Rich out-of-the-box orchestration content for any use case, any technology, with more than 8,000 operations and workflows
  • Extensible, open, vendor agnostic orchestrator to invoke from any place, integrate with anything using REST APIs, command line API, or integration wizards
  • Secure, scalable, high-availability orchestration architecture

HTH,

Lucian

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. RiverRat_1 Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Take a look at this Youtube video on Micro Focus RPA.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYPnVkv7aSc

Goto time period 1:30 or so.  This shows OO integration with Micro Focus UFT (https://software.microfocus.com/en-us/products/unified-functional-automated-testing/overview).  UFT can easily do chrome startup and such.  Like I said before, OO isn't designed to *directly* integrate with a GUI interface of any kind.  It has to go through an external application like UFT that is designed to do that.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.