Absent Member.. Trimuk Absent Member..
Absent Member..

RAS to Central communication under OO 10.10

Hello,

How Central identifies the RAS availability under OO 10.10, how it is updating the RAS status as alive?, if i am having 10 RAS servers, then how central identifies which RAS is alive?

Thanks,

Trim

Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
GeorgeDK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: RAS to Central communication under OO 10.10

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

In OO 10.x the communication is initiated in the opposite order to OO 9.x.

In 10.x the RASes send requests to Central asking to be allocated an action from the queue to execute, so obviously a ARS will only send such a request to Central if it is up and running.

Please let me know if you require further clarifications.

HTH.

George.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thank you for the response.

I am aware of it, what i want to know is, under central topology tab, i see RAS(worker) details like hostname,id,status etc.

How central is keeping that information, what i know is, RAS sends an restful API call to the central for every second and central updates it in the Database(please correct me if i am wrong), how central determines which RAS is sending that information, and if i use a LB between central and RAS, then how central deetermines RAS hostname , does it take LB hostname or RAS hostname?

THanks,

Trim

0 Likes
GeorgeDK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,

In OO 10.10 you do not need to have your RASes behind a load balancer. The respoisibility has been moved to the RAS Groups.

So instead of a number of RASes behind a LB and Central sending requests to the RASes via the LB (OO9.x behaviour), now you define a RAS group in Central containing the required RASes, and the load balancing functionality is carried out by the RAS group logic in the application. This way, the complication of knowing which RAS IP the request was originally initiated from and then sent to Central via the LB is removed.

Please let me know if you require further clarifications.

Kind regards,

George.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hello George,

Thank you for the response.

We configured centrals in HA mode, so we are using LB to have common url for the RAS machines during installation, in our setup RAS machines are aware of LB url not any individual central URL.

Now my question is, how central knows the status of RAS machines?, in our environment, we are facing an issue with this functionality, central is showing wrong data about the RAS machines, everytime RAS is alive even after making the RAS down, central is not getting the actual data about RAS servers.

Thanks,

Trim

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

This gets into the underpinnings of how we solution our product to work.  This is not explicitly described as it may change.

Currently  Central is aware of the status of RAS by monitoring RAS communication to Central.  So if a RAS is down and did not report in that it was up central would know and the work would shift.  Its more complex than this but that is the basic concept.

Let us know if that answers the question.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hello,

THank you for the response.

I got the concept, i just want to know how central identifies which RAS is communicating, as you mentioned central is monitoring the RAS and if it doesn't get any information, then it identifies as down, during monitoring how it gets the RAS hostname/ipaddress, is there any hostname/ipaddress information in the packets sent by RAS to central.

Thanks,

Trim

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

HI,

This gets into internals and may change but its uses an internal ID and the security exchange to identify itself.

Regards,

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.