riyashussain Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

RDP Session from OO

Hi Team,

Do we have option in OO to take RDP session to target server and execute a command on same session?

Any suggestion on how it can be achieved either from OO or alternative option tried through OO?

Thanks and Regards

Riyas Hussain A

0 Likes
8 Replies
AndreiTruta Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: RDP Session from OO

/Base [1.10.0]/Library/Operations/Remote Command Execution/Remote Command

protocol - The protocol used to run the command.
Valid values: SSH, ROSH, GlobalShell, Telnet, RSH, REXEC, local, WMI, NASConnectTelnet, HPOM

/Base [1.10.0]/Library/Operations/Operating Systems/Windows/Windows Command

This operation uses WMI to attempt to create a remote process on target machine and run the command.

for the second one you need a Windows based RAS.

Andrei Vasile Truta
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for the reply. Does this work as separate RDP session or backend process? Clients requirement is they want OO User to show under Task Manager -> Users. What their script doing is it launches IE and access some URL which will take screenshots of those URL sites. I am not sure whether this can be achieved from OO.

Thanks and Regards

Riyas.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

a new session is established with the target machine.

for the screenshot part I know that in the past I have successfully used selenium webdriver, captured some screenshots and afterwards send the results together with those over email - I guess it could be a good start unless someone else has a better solution for you. 

Andrei Vasile Truta
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for your input. Out of below two operation which one will work as new session?

/Base [1.10.0]/Library/Operations/Remote Command Execution/Remote Command (or)

/Base [1.10.0]/Library/Operations/Operating Systems/Windows/Windows Command

As per screenshot requirement, customer have the script that performs launching IE, taking screenshot and storing it in shared folder. OO's task is to login as new session and run the script. So if i know which operation can help with accessing server as new session i can run the script to test the end result.

Thanks and Regards

Riyas Hussain A

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

I would suggest to go with the Remote Command.

Let us know if it works,

Andrei Vasile Truta
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Andrei,

I tried using remote command operation with protocol as WMI. But it didnt work as new RDP session and the screenshots that are taken are complete black means it ran as background process. Do we have any other option to achieve it?

Thanks and Regards

Riyas Hussain A

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Judging by the described behavior and  outcome it seems like this script requires to test that certain users can actually login via RDP (a sort of health check on RDP) rather than having to do with actually running commands on a remote host. Am i wrong?

Due to the nature of how remote connections (especially RDP) are treated by windows the remote command  is designed in order not to open a new remote desktop connection, but rather work in the background.

If you are indeed trying to test rdp connectivity why not use a powershell script like:

New-Object System.Net.Sockets.TCPClient -ArgumentList "<servername>",3389

This will either return true if the RDP connection is good or will timeout or return an error message if there are problems with the connection.

Hope this helps,

Vlad

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.

Can you exemplify how exactly those screenshots are being taken in IE within the current implementation?

Andrei Vasile Truta
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.