Adel_HPOO_1020 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

ROI Calculation

Hi,

I want to calculate my flows ROI, in minutes.

i want to know how to do this:

1-Do i have to consider how much time (in minutes) that my flow take to complete (T1),

and then

execute the task  manually in (T2),

and the ROI=T2-T1  (of course if T2>T1).

2-OR, do i have to consider that ROI=T1 (the time that OO takes to execute the flow).

Regards,

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ROI Calculation

Hi,

As you may have understood in OO the term ROI has no defined value it can be applyed to anything: money, time, conveninec etc.

Now in order to have your ROI reflect minutes (guessing minutes saved) you have to consider for each step after which you add ROI how much time it would take to complete that step by hand  and then substract the time it takes the OO flow to execute that step giving you the ROI. In your example this would be T2-T1 where T2>T1. Ideally on the failure transition you should add a negative ROI of the number of minutes it usually takes to investigate why the flow has failed and in this manner have a complete picture of the actual ROI of flows. This would give you the most granular view of ROI in minutes possible.

The easier way to do this is to have the entire flow (regardless of steps) considered as a singular task and at the final transition (to success) compute the difference between manual time and average flow execution time (again T2-T1).

Hope this helps,

Vlad

Adel_HPOO_1020 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks VladM for reply,

i still have a confusion about the following point:

What i want to know is:  can i consider that ROI=T2 , because, what i really gain, is the time of executing this task manually, in other words, since OO is here people do not execute any task, all job is done by OO.

So if executing the task manually take 2 min and through OO it takes 1 min , i consider that ROI=2 min because thanks to OO, people do not lose 2 min in executing this task, also , they do not lose 1 min because they are not waiting for OO to complete the execution of the task, the task is planified, and it do his job silently.

Regards,

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Well as i said the ROI definition is purely subjective, everyone calculates it as they want.

In your case if it suits you you can have ROI be just that T2 (not the difference). The method of T2-T1 is just something that most people (especialy people who are new to OO) prefer in order to prove what a significant impact automating their manual task has.

Both aproaches are correct, you just need to pick the aproach that is most relevant for you.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. csaunderson Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

As was stated, ROI is whatever you want it to be.

Using your examples, I would place the value of the flow run - ROI - at 1 minute: the business process is executed successfully and the savings in time is 1 minute vs the manual means of executing the business process.

--Chris

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.