Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

Restart Servers using flow and extracting suitable time from maintenance database

I have a number of servers which require a reboot at a specific day/time. The day/time each of the servers is stored in a database which will need to be interrogate. The database stores the maintenance window/reboot data for all the servers so the idea is to run the job once an hour, run a string to identify which servers are permitted to be reboot in the next 60 minutes and then execute a reboot of the device. All servers are Windows.

I already have a flow which does something very similar but it covers Windows, Linux and Unix servers - so I was thinking I could use that flow as a guide on how to retrieve the relevant reboot day/time from the DB and then write a batch file to reboot the servers. Sounds easy but Ive never done this previously so not sure how easy this will be.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Re: Restart Servers using flow and extracting suitable time from maintenance database

We do something similar but use the Service now CMDB.

We have a flow that runs that queries the CMDB for the list of host and pulls back the reboot times from the maintenance schedule.

The flow then schedules a reboot from that time

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor..

Re: Restart Servers using flow and extracting suitable time from maintenance database

Do you have a sample you can share of the flow at all?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor..

Hi,

Would you be able to share a sample flow by chance - we also use ServiceNow so it might help?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Not easily, I would need to strip out parts which would defeat the point

We have two sections a scheduler flow  and reboot flow.

We feed the scheduler flow a list of hosts which queries the cmdb and schedules a reboot at the required time

If you use the CMDB in SNow you just make API calls to get the maintenance schedule data. We have a set format for the maintenance schedules. From that you can format the result to pick out start Day, time etc.

The scheduler flow then schedules the reboot flow for the required time from the CMDB

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.