Some of the main changes in 10.0X vs 9.0X

Hello all,

The main architectural changes in 10.0X vs 9.0X are as follows:

• Clustering
  1. Terracotta is no longer used.
  2. OO is no longer shipped with its own Load Balancer
  3. There is no more file-based "Shared Repository"
  • Studio

1. Studio is now offline and doesn't need to connet to Central in order to work on the content.
  2. Therefore all content should be deployed to Central separately
  3. Studio still uses a file-based repository, but its structure now corresponds to the logical structure of the library.
  4. Studio doesn't manage checkins/checkouts anymore, it can be integrated with a source control tool, e.g., Subversion for this
  • Central
  1. Central no longer uses file-based repository, all content is deployed to the DB
  2. Central doesn't need a local RAS anymore, it has its own internal worker
  3. The SOAP API and REST API from 9.0X is deprecated (but a subset of it is still functional)
  4. There is new REST API.

RAS

1. The Communication between RAS and Central is unidirectional in 10.0X - RAS is a client and Central is a server
  2. Tasks are assigned to RASes by the Central using the DB

Content

The OO content (including the custom one) now uses Maven plugins architecture.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Super Contributor.. Giulio Soleni Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Re: Some of the main changes in 10.0X vs 9.0X

Hi, a quick question.
It is not plain clear to me if the Central itself has a worker or not.
For testing purposes, I installed both the Central and the RAS on the same Linux system... in that case would it be necessary to install the RAS component along with the Central to have at least 1 worker available, or the Central alone without any RAS is enough?

Thank you,
Giulio
0 Likes
Absent Member.. daniel_daraban Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Giulio,

Central has its own worker, so you can install just Central without needing to install RAS on the same machine.

If you want to have a remote worker, then you can install a RAS worker on a different machine.

Best regards,
Daniel Daraban
0 Likes
Alex_Eskin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Giulio,
Central has its own internal worker
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Central has a built in Worker.  RAS more tecnically is a worker with networking code for remote access.  Thus RAS from the install should not be added on the central box.

Hope that helps,

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Thank you very much everybody!
According to Chris I have uninstalled right now the RAS from the Test environment where the Central is also running.
However I notice now that in the "System Workspace / Topology" section of the Central web console I still see my RAS among the available workers, even after a central restart.
This is a test environment, so I really do not mind about it ... but is there a way to get rid of that entry?

The HPOO version installed is the last available: 10.01.0001

Thank you again,
Giulio
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Unfortunately it is not possible at the moment short of hacking it out in the DB.  An Enhancement Request has been added for future versions around this and some similar issues.

Leaving it , Rebuilding if its a new environment are the best for now - however, if its a must to remove it, open a ticket with support and they will work with you on the manual process to remove it out of the DB.

Regards,

0 Likes
Alex_Eskin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm afraid in version 10.01 the only option is to remove this RAS from the DB manually. In v. 10.02 though it is already handled more elegantly.
0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Well, no problem... it's a test env and It's enough to keep it disabled.
Thank you.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.