Absent Member.. willrodriguez Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Versioning Content Packs

Jump to solution

Good afternoon, after playing around with content packs in version 10.10 for a little bit, we noticed something that we had some questions about. It looks like there's not much granular version control for content packs.

Our observations are as follows:

1. When you revert a content pack through central, it reverts to the previous CP, based on date, but not by version.

2. There doesn't appear to be any sort of warning if you're installing an older version, or really any feedback at all for that matter based on version.

3. When creating a content pack in Studio, the project always defaults to 1.0.0, regardless of whether you're working off a version newer than that or not.

Given that versions don't seem to do much, we were wondering, is there any purpose to them right now? Are there features planned in future iterations that will take advantage of versions, or at they largely meaningless? At the moment it seems easy enough to just ignore them. Is there any guidance on how to best use versions in the environment?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. Sussan_Z_OO Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Versioning Content Packs

Jump to solution

Hello Will,

I hope you are great today.

Regarding your request I have receive the next answer:

1. When you revert a content pack through central, it reverts to the previous CP, based on date, but not by version.

2. There doesn't appear to be any sort of warning if you're installing an older version, or really any feedback at all for that matter based on version.

3. When creating a content pack in Studio, the project always defaults to 1.0.0, regardless of whether you're working off a version newer than that or not.

1. This assumption is not correct – When a content pack is loaded a snapshot is taken of the whole repository – When a rollback is issued that snapshot is then put in place –eg rolled back to that snapshot.  The snapshot is a point and time and not specific essentially to a particular content pack but a point it time.  This is why its not possible to say roll base 1.1.12 back to 1.1.11 but not effect DB 1.1.12 if it was applied in between.  This is by design.

2. The CP is a container – its not necessarily the defining point – eg there are versioning related to actual objects in the repo. That being said for HUMAN readability and following best practice is to implement it correctly every change so its easy for anyone to follow – especially those that may not be familiar later in the life cycle process.

3. Yes correct its just a string there is no intelligence built into it.

I hope this information help you,

Kind Regards,

Sussan Zamora

HPOO

“Regards,
If you find this or any post useful to resolve the issue, please mark this thread as correct answer and other members can benefit with the information given
Sussan Zamora
SW Support Technical Consultant
San Jose, Costa Rica
hpe.com
Hewlett Packard Enterprise “
3 Replies
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hello Will,

I am an Operations Orchestration Support representative, I will be researching according to your questions.

Please give me a bit more time and I will be back as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sussan Zamora

HPOO

“Regards,
If you find this or any post useful to resolve the issue, please mark this thread as correct answer and other members can benefit with the information given
Sussan Zamora
San Jose, Costa Rica
hpe.com
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hello Will,

I wanted to let you know that I am working diligently on Versioning Content Packs. I

will respond when I have an update.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Best Regards,

Sussan Zamora

HPOO

“Regards,
Sussan Zamora
San Jose, Costa Rica
hpe.com
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hello Will,

I hope you are great today.

Regarding your request I have receive the next answer:

1. This assumption is not correct – When a content pack is loaded a snapshot is taken of the whole repository – When a rollback is issued that snapshot is then put in place –eg rolled back to that snapshot.  The snapshot is a point and time and not specific essentially to a particular content pack but a point it time.  This is why its not possible to say roll base 1.1.12 back to 1.1.11 but not effect DB 1.1.12 if it was applied in between.  This is by design.

2. The CP is a container – its not necessarily the defining point – eg there are versioning related to actual objects in the repo. That being said for HUMAN readability and following best practice is to implement it correctly every change so its easy for anyone to follow – especially those that may not be familiar later in the life cycle process.

3. Yes correct its just a string there is no intelligence built into it.

I hope this information help you,

Kind Regards,

Sussan Zamora

HPOO

“Regards,
Sussan Zamora
San Jose, Costa Rica
hpe.com
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.