riyashussain Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Ways to integrate HPOO and TN3270

Hi All,

Apart from OOB operations is there any other way to integrate HPOO with TN3270 system? Current environment dont have SSH component installed which omits the option of using OOB. Any idea is appreciated. We are using OO 10.22.

Thanks and Regards

Riyas Hussain A

0 Likes
6 Replies
Trusted Contributor.. jarodb Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Re: Ways to integrate HPOO and TN3270

You will need to use a 3270 emulator

the OO OOTB operations use s3270

you can also wrap your own with s3270 or x3270
if you have Reflection X or Hummingbird Exceed they include an emulator that you may use for your custom script

//Actively seeking HPOO opportunities
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Jarod,

Thanks for the input. Our requirement is to start a job in mainframe system which is already been scripted. So can we use OOB operation for the same? Is SSHrelay mandatory for OOB integration? Can we install the SSHRelay in OO Server in order to integrate with OO system?

Thanks and Regards

Riyas Hussain A

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.. jarodb Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

The OOTB operations require s3270 be installed on an intermediary host. I've installed on Linux RAS but you could install on another linux host as well. 

The s3270 application doesn't support SSH it uses telnet. You can use with the SSL/ TLS options depending on how the target is configured. 

You can read more about s3270 here -> http://x3270.bgp.nu/s3270-man.html

The SSH Relay option is used to connect to the host with s3270 installed. 
i.e. RAS -connects to-> Linux host with s3270 installed... launches s3270 -connects to-> your target host

you can also create a script using s3270 and call the script on your ras instead of working with the OOTB operations 
samples script -> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/how-do-i-use-s3270-x3270-for-scripting-767067/

//Actively seeking HPOO opportunities
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Jarod,

Thanks for your input. Its really useful. As you suggested, if i install S3270 on linux RAS host, i can use that as SSHRelay in our OOB operations. I will give it a try tomorrow and get back with the result. And also will try the scripting part.

Thanks and Regards

Riyas Hussain A

0 Likes
chrisb Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

The SSH Relay option is used to connect to the host with s3270 installed. 
i.e. RAS -connects to-> Linux host with s3270 installed... launches s3270 -connects to-> your target host

Is it possible to use a Windows server instead of a Linux host for this?

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. JarodMB Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Probably.... the OO operation relies on an SSH relay host (install SSH on the Windows host) and the s3270 emulator is distributed for windows too.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.