Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Why the worker's hostname is read from /etc/hosts file when there are two NICs

When there are two NICs on OO central Server, navigate to System configuration/Topology/Workers, you will see the hostname is read from C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

For example:

1. The customer add two NIC on OO server:
primary NIC:10.0.0.1
second NIC:172.25.42.60

2. The output of command [hostname] is :WIN-IQAYOX4TS40
the computer name is :WIN-IQAYOX4TS40

3. The customer edit  C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
10.0.0.1 DUMMYHOST
on host file.

As we expected, the worker name should be WIN-IQAYOX4TS40, but it's turn to DUMMYHOST

So where does the worker's hostname is got from? From hosts file or from command [hostname]?

Anyone can answer me?

0 Likes
1 Reply
AndreiTruta Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Why the worker's hostname is read from /etc/hosts file when there are two NICs

The hostname is computed upon RASes installation.

I suggest you open a support ticket with all the relevant details you have already captured so that it can be properly investigated.

What I can tell you is that the canonnical hostname is computed using java's InetAddress - maybe there are some situations like the one you described which make sense to be further investigated.

Hope it helps,

Andrei Vasile Truta
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.