LEONESS87 Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

email alert in HPOO

Jump to solution

Hi all, i'm a HPOO beginner so, Please can someone help me in my flow!
I would like to create a flow that sends me an email alert if one of my servers is down;

My flow works perfectly but My mailbox is filled with the same alert (until the server is UP).  

how can i do to recieve only one alert if the sever X is down without breaking the ping process.
Thank you
RB

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EASJosh Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: email alert in HPOO

Jump to solution

Hi,

Going off that screenshot, if possible, I'd recommend setting up a SQL database to contain tables with;
a. A list of all servers
b. A list of previous server statuses

This will make the flow alot more adaptable as and when new servers need adding (able to add to SQL table as oppose to having to add to flow, export, import to Central), and allow easy functionality as explained in my previous reply to prevent duplicate notifications.

Cheers,
Josh

--------------------------------------
If my post helped you, please click the 'Kudos' button.
6 Replies
mostafa_hassan Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello, 

Put condition ,Complete All Ping process with two kind of servers as "UP Servers" & "Down Servers" then read from down servers and put condition to sort that  if Server X is down send mail. That might help.

Regards
Mostafa Hassan
If my post helped you, kindly click the 'Kudos' button.
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you Mostafa Hassan,
It's what i did using List iterrator for ping and list appender for the list of server down, and it works perfectly i have a email alerte with the list of down servers.
but i receive the same alerte evrey minute (until the server is up) because of the loop operation. i want to receive one time email without breaking the ping process.

thank you

0 Likes
Established Member.. TerrySummers
Established Member..

Jump to solution

OK, so you need to know when you have already sent the e-mail for down.
In my own thinking there are 2 ways and it does depend on how your flow is invoked.
In your flow on a schedule that always completes or does it sit in a loop until all the servers it is after are up?
First thoughts
1) Use a System Property to say I've sent alerts for these servers and read that using a custom operation to decide if you send an alert or not. (clearing up the system property as things come up). Messy, but achievable and handy if your flow is on a schedule.

2) If on a perminant loop until all servers are up same sort of thing, but with flow variables.

Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi RB,

I'd be interested in how this flow is currently set up - are you able to share a screenshot?

Is it a scheduled flow to run every X amount of minutes? If this is the case, is it worth moving onto the next server rather than stalling the flow until this specific server is back online?

If you have use of a SQL server, I'd recommend the following setup:

- Ping server
If ping fails
 - Check latest SQL entry for this server
 - Last entry lists server as offline? Move onto next server without sending notification (you're already aware that it's offline)
 - Last entry lists server as online? Send email notification, then insert new entry for server to list it as being offline and prevent repeated notifications
If ping succeeds
 - Check latest SQL entry for this server
 - Last entry lists server as offline? Insert new entry for server to mark it as online. 
 - Last entry lists server as online? Insert new entry for server to mark it as online.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
Josh

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi all,
Thanks for your replies,
my flow pings the list of all the servers then it sends a alert of all the servers down
as you can see In the joined picture there is a list iterator who contains the list of all my servers, when the ping is Fail the IP address is put in "list of pos down" when all pings are done, an email is sent to me with the list.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

Going off that screenshot, if possible, I'd recommend setting up a SQL database to contain tables with;
a. A list of all servers
b. A list of previous server statuses

This will make the flow alot more adaptable as and when new servers need adding (able to add to SQL table as oppose to having to add to flow, export, import to Central), and allow easy functionality as explained in my previous reply to prevent duplicate notifications.

Cheers,
Josh

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.