New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Migration from 3.3 to 6.3

Hello,

I am trying to migrate the code which was written for Orbix 3.3 to 6.3 and am facing some issues. I googled for some documentation about the migration from the MF/Orbix about the same but couldn't find any. Can you let me know what compiler flags to use to match the ones from 3.3 to 6.3?

I am getting this error

$idl -A -B -N NodalTranslations.idl

idl: error: cmd line option not supported: -A
usage: "-flags" for details.

idl [-flags] [-?] [-Dname[=value]] [-Idir] [-N] [-Uname] [-3] [-V] [-u] [-v] [-w]
       file [file]*

Tags (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

On the product documentation page available at

supportline.microfocus.com/productdoc.aspx

you can find the migration guide "Migrating from Orbix 3.3 to Orbix 6.3"  by selecting  

"CORBA Middleware" product family,

"Orbix 6" product,

"6.3.5" release

Orbix 3.3 and Orbix 6.3 are completely different products based on different CORBA standards. Orbix 3.3 is based on the Basic Object Adapter (BOA) standard, whereas Orbix 6.3 is a new implementation of the Portable Object Adapter (POA) based standard.

Please use "idl -flags" for the options on the Orbix 6.3 IDL compiler.

For further details please also see the Orbix 6.3 "CORBA Programmer’s Guide, C++", chapter "Orbix IDL compiler Options".

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you Roland,

I have a few further questions

1-    Is the version 3.3 still has support on RHEL Linux?

1- If not, Is there a supported version on Linux before the shift in CORBA standard happened?

2- What is the best path to migrate from 3.3 on UNIX to 6.3 on LINUX? Should we go thru intermediate step(s) and upgrade first on UNIX, or go directly from 3.3 UNIX to 6.3 LINUX? Which one do you recommend?

Thank you for your time. Appreciate it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

The latest release of Orbix 3.3 (Orbix 3.3 SP12) is supported on RHEL 5.5 with GCC 4.1 C++ compiler, and RHEL 6.1 with GCC 4.4 C++ compiler.

On which OS are you currently running your Orbix 3.3 based application?

Linux is a UNIX-like OS, so if you plan to upgrade from Orbix 3.3 to Orbix 6.3 and Linux is your target platform I would suggest to upgrade directly to Linux.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are running Orbix 3.3 on HP-UX and this install is about 10yrs old.

We plan to retain the functionality same. Do you forsee any impact on the way things are working now and after upgrade because of the Orbix standard change?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Without any details about the application itself it is difficult to answer your question.

If you want to retain the same functionality I think it would make much more sense to upgrade your application to the latest release of Orbix 3.3, namely Orbix 3.3 SP12. This should be a straightforward process with minimal effort in the migration from HP-UX to Linux.

I suggest you open a support case on SupportLine and we can follow up with more details in the context of that case.

Regards,

Roland

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.