Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
PatFahy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

failed during CreateProcess function call with error 183

Hello,

I have Orbix6.3.4 on Windows 2008 and when I start a process I get these errors in the node_daemon log:

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 07:43:27.0000000 [ORBIXTV11:5024] (IT_ACTIVATOR:14) E - Process with Process ID -1 changed state to CREATE_PROCESS_FAILED.
Thu, 21 Sep 2017 07:43:27.0000000 [ORBIXTV11:5024] (IT_ACTIVATOR:61) E - Process "DS_GMOD6SUM" in domain "lamda.location" failed during CreateProcess function call with error 0: The operation completed successfully.

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 08:26:47.0000000 [ORBIXTV11:3152] (IT_ACTIVATOR:14) E - Process with Process ID -1 changed state to CREATE_PROCESS_FAILED.
Thu, 21 Sep 2017 08:26:47.0000000 [ORBIXTV11:3152] (IT_ACTIVATOR:61) E - Process "DS_GMOD6SUM" in domain "lamda.location" failed during CreateProcess function call with error 183: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

As a result nothing is working for me.  I have tried deleting and re-creating the domain and get the same error.  Anyone know what might be going wrong?

Thanks,

Pat.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
17 Replies
RolandS Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: failed during CreateProcess function call with error 183

Hi Pat,
The process started up by the daemon fails to start due to Windows error 183 (Cannot create a file when that file already exists). You need to check what this process is actually trying to do when started up. What is the output of "itadmin process show DS_GMOD6SUM"?

Hope this helps,
Roland
0 Likes
RolandS Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Pat,

Please log a support incident and we'll organize an online meeting to try and resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Roland
0 Likes
PatFahy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Roland,

I should have added that it creates a log file to keep a log of the information and error messages it generates as it operates. This log file is created with zero bytes and it's permissions allow the user running the node_daemon full access. So basically the program starts with these arguments
-N CUS_SUMMITTOMA_GMOD6SUM -ML 2 -MG 2 -CFG SummitToMA_cfg.xml -LOGFILE c:\summit\error\GMOD6SUM\CUS_SUMMITTOMA_GMOD6SUM_error_05222017_153334.log
It creates the file and then writes nothing into it before exiting or does Orbix create the file before starting the program?

Many thanks, for your help,
Pat.
0 Likes
RolandS Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Pat,

Please provide the output of "itadmin process show DS_GMOD6SUM", so that I understand how the process is registered in the IMR.

Those arguments are all application specific and nothing to do with Orbix, so I cannot really say how the application is handling those. Does this process generate an Orbix log file as well?

Thanks,
Roland
0 Likes
PatFahy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Roland,
There are 4 log files the error messages I posted above appear in node_daemon log

Here is process show output:

Process Name: DS_GMOD6SUM
Active: no
Description: TRANSIENT_NAME=Summit/DistServer/BOIR26E2:GMOD6SUM/Transient/Monitor;PERSISTENT_NAME=Summit/DistServer/BOIR26E2:GMOD6SUM/DS_GMOD6SUM;
Startup Mode: disable
Usually Monitored By: iona_services.node_daemon.orbixtv11
Startup Information:
Node Daemon Name: iona_services.node_daemon.orbixtv11
Path Name: c:\summit\V5\V5.5\exe\distserver_2k.exe
Arguments: -N DS_GMOD6SUM -ML 2 -MG 2 -NTO -LOGFILE c:\summit\error\GMOD6SUM\DS_GMOD6SUM_error_09202017_215143.log
Environment Variables (121):
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=C:\Users\Orbix_test\AppData\Roaming
CANDLE_HOME=C:\IBM\ITM
CLASSPATH=C:\Orbix6.3.4\asp\6.3\lib\asp-corba.jar;C:/Orbix6.3.4/config/orbixtv11/lamda/etc\domains\lamda;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\java\lib\com.ibm.mqjms.jar;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\java\lib\com.ibm.mq.jar;
CLIENTNAME=N78T8MC2W7
CLIENTPATH=c:\summit\V5\paul\client\boir
COMMONPROGRAMFILES=C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1
COMMONPROGRAMFILES(X86)=C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1
COMMONPROGRAMW6432=C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1
COMPUTERNAME=ORBIXTV11
COMSPEC=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
CONFIRMATIONS_PRINTER=PrintConfo_GMOD6SUM
DFSTRACINGON=FALSE
DISPLAY=:0.0
DOC_NAME_METHOD=BYDISPATCH
DOMAIN_NAME=lamda
ENUM_DICTIONARY_PATH=H:\RFA\enumtype.def
FIELD_DICTIONARY_PATH=H:\RFA\RDMFieldDictionary
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOME=C:\Users\Orbix_test
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\Orbix_test
IBIS_PRINTER=PrintIBIS_GMOD6SUM
IBIS_US_PRINTER=PrintIBIS_US_GMOD6SUM
INCLUDE=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\tools\c\include;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\tools\cplus\include
IT_CONFIG_DOMAINS_DIR=C:/Orbix6.3.4/config/orbixtv11/lamda/etc\domains
IT_DOMAIN_NAME=lamda
IT_LICENSE_FILE=C:\Orbix6.3.4\etc\ASP_licenses-runtime.txt
IT_PRODUCT_DIR=C:\Orbix6.3.4
JAVA_HOME=C:/jdk1.6.0_17
KUIFILEPATH=C:\IBM\ITM\bin\xml
LANGUAGE=ENGLISH
LIB=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\tools\lib64;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\tools\lib
LIBPATH=C:\IBM\ITM\TMAITM6;C:\IBM\ITM\InstallITM
LM_LICENSE_FILE=33333@orbixtv11
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\Orbix_test\AppData\Local
LOGONOFFLEVEL=2
LOGONSERVER=\\VM000000507
MACHINE_NAME=orbixtv11
MAN_CHM_INDEX=C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/chm/tkutil.idx;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/chm/tkapi.idx;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/chm/tcltk.idx;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/chm/tkcurses.idx
MAN_HTM_PATHS=C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/htm/perl;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/htm/perl/pod;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/htm/perl/ext;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/htm/perl/lib
MAN_TXT_INDEX=C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/tkutil.idx;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/tkapi.idx;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/tcltk.idx;C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/etc/tkcurses.idx
MISC_V35=YES
MQCHLLIB=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\Qmgrs\QM_orbixtv11\@ipcc
MQCHLTAB=AMQCLCHL.TAB
MQ_FILE_PATH=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ
MQ_JAVA_DATA_PATH=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ
MQ_JAVA_INSTALL_PATH=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\java
MQ_JRE_PATH=C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\java\jre
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
NUTCROOT=C:\PROGRA~2\MKS
Toolkit
ORACLE_HOME=C:\oracle11
ORACLE_SID=GMOD6SUM
OS=Windows_NT
PATH=C:\Orbix6.3.4\bin;C:\jdk1.6.0_17\jre\bin\client;C:\Orbix6.3.4\asp\6.3\bin;C:/Orbix6.3.4/config/orbixtv11/lamda/etc\bin;c:\summit\V5\paul\client\boir\exe;c:\summit\V5\paul\client\boir\lib;c:\summit\V5\paul\client\boir\bin;c:\summit\V5\V5.5\exe;c:\summit\V5\V5.5\lib;c:\summit\V5\V5.5\bin;H:\RFA;c:\summit\V5\V5.5\exe;c:\summit\V5\V5.5\lib;c:\summit\V5\V5.5\bin;c:\summit\V5\paul\exe;c:\summit\V5\paul\lib;c:\summit\V5\paul\bin;C:\Orbix6.3.4\bin;C:\jdk1.6.0_17\jre\bin\client;c:\summit\V5\paul\syslibs;C:\jdk1.6.0_17\bin;C:\jdk1.6.0_17\jre\bin\client;c:\perl-5.8.4\bin;C:\Orbix6.3.4\asp\6.3\bin;C:\Orbix6.3.4\config\orbixtv11\lamda\etc\bin;C:\oracle11\bin;C:\oracle11;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\bin64;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\bin;C:\IBM\WebSphereMQ\bin;C:\perl-5.8.4\bin;C:\Windows\System32;
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC;.sh;.ksh;.csh;.sed;.awk;.pl
PERL=C:\perl-5.8.4\bin
PERLLIB=C:\perl-5.8.4\lib
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432=AMD64
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=Intel64_Family_6_Model_26_Stepping_4,_GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=1a04
PROGRAMDATA=C:\ProgramData
PROGRAMFILES=C:\PROGRA~2
PROGRAMFILES(X86)=C:\PROGRA~2
PROGRAMW6432=C:\PROGRA~1
PSMODULEPATH=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
RBKA_LOGRETENTION=60
RBKA_SOURCE_FILES=C:\Runbook\SourceFiles
RBKA_SYSTEMSTATE_PATH=C:\Runbook\SystemState
RBKA_TOOLS=C:\Runbook\Tools
RBKA_TOOLS_PATH=C:\Runbook\Tools
ROOTDIR=C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit
RTFACCESSLOG=Yes
RTFDEBUG=5
RTFUSER=fahyp
RUNBOOK=C:\Runbook
SDMT_PRINTER=PrintSDMT_GMOD6SUM
SESSIONNAME=RDP-Tcp#0
SHELL=C:/PROGRA~2/MKS_Toolkit/mksnt/sh.exe
SNOW_INVENTORY_HOME=C:\PROGRA~1\INVENTORYCLIENT
SUMMITDBCLIENTVERSION=111
SUMMITDBNAME=BOIR26E2
SUMMITERRDIR=c:\summit\error\GMOD6SUM
SUMMITHOME=c:
SUMMITPRINTER=stkntprint
SUMMITRTF=RFA
SUMMITRTFSIM=NO
SUMMITSPARSE=c:\summit\V5\V5.5
SUMMITSPOOLDIR=C:\summit\spool\
SUMMITUSER=BOIR26E2SUMMITUSER
SUMMITVERSION=summit\V5\paul
SUMMIT_RFA_CONFIG=H:\RFA\SummitRFA_Win.cfg
SU_CONFIG_PATH=C:/Orbix6.3.4/config
SU_CONFIG_PATH_VAR=C:/Orbix6.3.4/config
SU_ORBIXADM=orbix_test
SYSLIBS=H:\V5\paul\syslibs
SYSTEMDRIVE=C:
SYSTEMROOT=C:\Windows
TEMP=C:\Users\ORBIX_~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2
TERM=nutc
TERMCAP=C:\PROGRA~2\MKS
Toolkit\etc\termcap
TERMINFO=C:\PROGRA~2\MKS
Toolkit\usr\lib\terminfo
TICKETDIR=C:\summit\spool
TMP=C:\Users\ORBIX_~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2
TMPDIR=C:/Users/ORBIX_~1/AppData/Local/Temp/2
TRACE_FORMAT_SEARCH_PATH=\\winseqfe\release\Windows6.0\lh_sp2rtm\6002.18005.090410-1830\amd64fre\symbols.pri\TraceFormat
UATDATA=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CCM\UATData\D9F8C395-CAB8-491d-B8AC-179A1FE1BE77
USER=orbixadm
USERDNSDOMAIN=BOIGM.COM
USERDOMAIN=BOIGM
USERNAME=orbix_test
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\Orbix_test
WINDIR=C:\Windows
WINLOGMGR=C:\script
XMLPARSER=\\orbixtv11\xml4j_2_0_15-Win
File Access Permissions:
User: orbix_test
Group: BOIGM
File Creation Permissions:
Umask: 022
Current Directory: c:\temp
Resource Limits: Inherited from Node Daemon

Thanks again,
Pat.
0 Likes
RolandS Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Pat,

See the startup mode for this process, it is disabled, so the daemon won't be able to start it:
Startup Mode: disable

Try "itadmin process enable DS_GMOD6SUM" and see if this works then.

For details on the itadmin process option run "itadmin process -help" or on any of the subcommands "itadmin process <subcommand> -help"

Hope this helps,
Roland
0 Likes
PatFahy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Roland,
I have tried that already and it makes no difference. My feeling is that it has to do with security but the message is not giving enough detail about the root cause.
Thanks,
Pat.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hi Pat,

As Roland mentioned, the Windows error “183” signifies the application is attempting to create a file, which already exists.

To help determine whether the issue lies with the Node Daemon, or the application, please try running the following command:

> c:\summit\V5\V5.5\exe\distserver_2k.exe -N DS_GMOD6SUM -ML 2 -MG 2 -NTO -LOGFILE c:\summit\error\GMOD6SUM\DS_GMOD6SUM_error_09202017_215143.log

Before running the above command, please be sure to set the 121 environment variables, as described in the output of the "itadmin process show" command.

If you see the same error when attempting to run the command manually, it would suggest the problem lies in the application itself.

Alternatively, if it is possible to launch the application manually, I suggest raising a support ticket with us, so we can look into this in more detail.

Thank you and best regards,
Pat
Micro Focus SupportLine
0 Likes
Highlighted
PatFahy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,

I tried that already and the program starts normally, writes it's initialisation massages in the logfile referenced in the arguments and stays running as expected. It is as if the node_daemon was unable to allow its privs to be inherited to the spawned process; could Windows cause that?
Thanks again,
Pat.
0 Likes
RolandS Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Pat,

Under what user is the node daemon iona_services.node_daemon.orbixtv11 running? When the daemon starts up a process, this process will inherit the node daemon's environment/privs.

What type of Orbix domain are you using? Is the lamda Orbix domain file based or CFR based? Are the Orbix services running as Windows services?
0 Likes
PatFahy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,
The Orbix daemons are started in an interactive session with the authenticated user BOIGM\ORBIX_test which is a local admin on the machine. In other words the Orbix servers are not Windows services. When I tried what you suggested, starting the program on the command line, I did it in the same windows user session that started Orbix. It's as if the process spawned by Orbix fails to inherit all the privileges it needs - I know that sounds crazy, so it is probably not the case.
Pat.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi Pat,

I note that the current directory for that process is c:\test. By any chance does the orbix_test user not have write permission to that directory?

You can use
itadmin process modify DS_GMOD6SUM -directory <new dir>
to change this working directory for the process to see if that helps.

Regards,
Martin
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

sorry, I meant c:\temp not c:\test
0 Likes
PatFahy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Martin,
I checked and the user can create. update and delete in c:\temp
Pat.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.