Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
8202 views

$5.21/gallon gas

in San Mateo. California average $4.50


Labels (1)
0 Likes
87 Replies
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

Craig wrote:

> in San Mateo. California average $4.50


I filled up at the Safeway station on Monday for $3.81

--
Danita
http://www.caledonia.net/blog
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

So, have you or anyone changed their driving habits? I go to work & home,
thats about it, hit up the grocery store on the way home, or the library the
nights they are open past 5 (it is on my route home, so I dont drive out of
my way), and try not to go out at all on the weekend.

What are some good tips beyond the obvious ones like "keep your tires
properly inflated" or "dont jackrabbit start or slam on your breaks to stop"
type tips?
The carpool one amuses me, sure, how is an IT person supposed to actually
carpool with a bunch of "9to5'ers"? The schedule just wont fit.
The ride mass transit amuses me even more, since there is no actual usable
mass transit in DFW....now atlanta on the other hand, marta rocks!
Another one that amuses me is "get a better more fuel efficient car" - for
one, not everyone has the cash to grab a new(er) car, and what is offered
sucks - "32/36" wow.... thats still almost nothing, unless you are willing
to risk your neck driving a microsized fortwo "smartcar" which barely gets
40/45 while all the insane soccer moms in their Hummers blow by you running
you off the road not even noticing you.

So, what are some *real* tips then?

-
"Craig" <tech@no-spam.com> wrote in message
news:yaR3k.853$5H4.114@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> in San Mateo. California average $4.50
>



0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

Craig,

sheesh, you think you'll get sympathy from anyone outside the US? 🙂

--

Shaun Pond


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

We're at $4.09...anyone know what Europe and Canada are at? (And can you
do the conversion from liter to gallon, please?).

>>> On 6/11/2008 at 10:20 AM, in message

<yaR3k.853$5H4.114@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Craig<tech@no-spam.com>
wrote:
> in San Mateo. California average $4.50

0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

Keith V. Klenke wrote:

> So, what are some *real* tips then?


Depends on where you live of course. I carpool with other swim team Moms.
I ride the light-rail train into Denver (but that's still a 5 mile drive to
the station), and I ride my bike to the store for everything that will "fit"
on my bike. I do the other grocery runs for heavy stuff when I'm out on
other errands. I rarely go out to do things just to pick up one thing, etc.


I insist that all of my clients have a VPN lately, and only go to physically
see them when there is no other option.

My rear-end has finally gotten used to the bicycle again, but I still have
trouble getting up the hill to our house. My guess is that by the end of
the summer it will be easy <g>.

--
Danita
http://www.caledonia.net/blog
0 Likes
islander Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

Craig:

That's pretty high. We've got $4.55 for regular unleaded and $5.02 for diesel. At least, that was what it was last night when I drove past the Safeway on the way home. : )

--
Susan
Novell Community Chat Moderator

http://support.novell.com/forums/faq_rules.html
http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site

Susan Novell Community Chat Moderator http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

You're started on the right track. I'm a lifetime "commuter" and having
lived 1/2 hour from the nearest grocery store, I still go with my commuter
habits. I'm only 12 miles from work, but still schedule all my shopping to
happen on the way home. I have a Lowe's that's conveniently on the way
home as is PetSmart, plus I have a grocery store, Target, and Game Stop
that are in the same strip mall, so I park in one spot and walk my loads
out to it as needed and the gas station is conveniently on my way out as
well. Even though that strip mall is within a mile of my house I don't go
unless it's on the way to/from work, and I avoid going anywhere on the
weekends. But that's more often to avoid the crazy Michigan drivers who
think they're NASCAR stars and that our foul roads have no potholes.

I won't trade in my truck as it gets better MPG that the new ones (and
landscapers keep offering me $$ for it), but I do drive the old truck more
than the Suburban. Carpooling is kind of an option for me (not a great
one) and the bus service here is pathetic.

My dogs can start drafting next winter...if we had a bike path near where I
live up to the college, I'd be tempted to have them haul me to work. 🙂

Biking's not an option due to the insane drivers out here...it's far more
dangerous than California.

>>> On 6/11/2008 at 10:32 AM, in message

<mmR3k.860$5H4.225@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Keith V.
Klenke<abendorg@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, have you or anyone changed their driving habits? I go to work & home,


>
> thats about it, hit up the grocery store on the way home, or the
> library the
> nights they are open past 5 (it is on my route home, so I dont drive
> out of
> my way), and try not to go out at all on the weekend.
>
> What are some good tips beyond the obvious ones like "keep your tires
> properly inflated" or "dont jackrabbit start or slam on your breaks to
> stop"
> type tips?
> The carpool one amuses me, sure, how is an IT person supposed to
> actually
> carpool with a bunch of "9to5'ers"? The schedule just wont fit.
> The ride mass transit amuses me even more, since there is no actual
> usable
> mass transit in DFW....now atlanta on the other hand, marta rocks!
> Another one that amuses me is "get a better more fuel efficient car" -
> for
> one, not everyone has the cash to grab a new(er) car, and what is
> offered
> sucks - "32/36" wow.... thats still almost nothing, unless you are
> willing
> to risk your neck driving a microsized fortwo "smartcar" which barely
> gets
> 40/45 while all the insane soccer moms in their Hummers blow by you
> running
> you off the road not even noticing you.
>
> So, what are some *real* tips then?
>
> -
> "Craig" <tech@no-spam.com> wrote in message
> news:yaR3k.853$5H4.114@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>> in San Mateo. California average $4.50
>>

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

What's the cost across the pond these days? And how do you deal with it?

>>> On 6/11/2008 at 10:39 AM, in message

<VA.0000b615.024d1433@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Shaun
Pond<spond@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> Craig,
>
> sheesh, you think you'll get sympathy from anyone outside the US? 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

Mary Matthews wrote:
> We're at $4.09...anyone know what Europe and Canada are at? (And can
> you do the conversion from liter to gallon, please?).


$8.93 at my local petrol station. $10.42 if you want diesel.

--
Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett
http://flatpack.microwavepizza.co.uk/
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

0 Likes
kathcarruthers Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

Mary Matthews wrote:
> We're at $4.09...anyone know what Europe and Canada are at? (And can you
> do the conversion from liter to gallon, please?).
>
>>>> On 6/11/2008 at 10:20 AM, in message

> <yaR3k.853$5H4.114@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Craig<tech@no-spam.com>
> wrote:
>> in San Mateo. California average $4.50


This morning I filled up near work, where it's $131.9/litre x 4.545
(litres per gallon according to a trustworthy looking website) = $5.99.
I don't know what the CDN$/US$ is today, but it's been running close
to par for the past few months. The station nearest my home (in Quebec)
was at $141.5.


Kathryn Carruthers
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

Ouch!!

>>> On 6/11/2008 at 10:59 AM, in message

<xn0frb3w1f77h2000@forums.novell.com>, Ben A L
Jemmett<bal.jemmett@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> Mary Matthews wrote:
>> We're at $4.09...anyone know what Europe and Canada are at? (And can
>> you do the conversion from liter to gallon, please?).

>
> $8.93 at my local petrol station. $10.42 if you want diesel.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

Not as bad as the UK then. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if we had a
better mass transit infrastructure, but in Michigan everything is geared
towards you having your own car (go figure, we used to be the big auto
producer) and it never got adjusted, even with the fallout of the early
80's. Change is VERY slow in this state.

>>> On 6/11/2008 at 11:07 AM, in message

<JSR3k.873$5H4.107@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Kathryn
Carruthers<kath.carruthers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mary Matthews wrote:
>> We're at $4.09...anyone know what Europe and Canada are at? (And can

> you
>> do the conversion from liter to gallon, please?).
>>
>>>>> On 6/11/2008 at 10:20 AM, in message

>> <yaR3k.853$5H4.114@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Craig<tech@no-spam.com>
>> wrote:
>>> in San Mateo. California average $4.50

>
> This morning I filled up near work, where it's $131.9/litre x 4.545
> (litres per gallon according to a trustworthy looking website) = $5.99.
>
> I don't know what the CDN$/US$ is today, but it's been running close
> to par for the past few months. The station nearest my home (in
> Quebec)
> was at $141.5.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: $5.21/gallon gas

> "Ben A L Jemmett" <bal.jemmett@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:xn0frb3w1f77h2000@forums.novell.com...
>
> $8.93 at my local petrol station. $10.42 if you want diesel.




Do they have Diesel in America?



--
AZC


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.