Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1680 views

Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

Anyone noticed any attacks recently on their POP3 servers?

Just had a spate of attempts against 4 usernames. About 170 attempts
that look like they came from Italy.

Presumably attempts to find account passwords so they can try
authenticating to SMTP servers for relaying...
Labels (1)
0 Likes
17 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

> Anyone noticed any attacks recently on their POP3 servers?
>
> Just had a spate of attempts against 4 usernames. About 170 attempts
> that look like they came from Italy.


Launch countermeasures! 30 degree up angle! Emergency blow!

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

G of Borg wrote:

> Launch countermeasures! 30 degree up angle! Emergency blow!


I think our countermeasures are roughly along the lines of threatening
to fly one of our Iroquois over them - they are prone to randomly
falling out of the sky.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

check out thread, perhaps that is similar?
novell.support.groupwise.6x.gwia
Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:56 AM
POP3 automated password cracker bot?

--
http://abeNd.org - Novell News for IT Professionals
-
"Scott Campbell" <potato@potato.potato> wrote in message
news:t2Exj.5889$Ec7.4070@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> Anyone noticed any attacks recently on their POP3 servers?
>
> Just had a spate of attempts against 4 usernames. About 170 attempts
> that look like they came from Italy.
>
> Presumably attempts to find account passwords so they can try
> authenticating to SMTP servers for relaying...



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

Keith V. Klenke wrote:

> check out thread, perhaps that is similar?
> novell.support.groupwise.6x.gwia
> Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:56 AM
> POP3 automated password cracker bot?


Entirely possible, though this was a thrashing, the amount of time it
would take to remove the intruder lockout the admin account and moving
the mouse to NRM (which was already populated with username/password)
and clicking on the login button would see the account locked out again
:-/.
I suspect if I allocated more threads to the POP3 server I would have
seen more attempts.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

Don't you know? POP3 is dead (according to Novell). Stop using
it!!!!!!!!!!!!

🙂


"Scott Campbell" <potato@potato.potato> wrote in message
news:TrExj.5911$Ec7.957@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> Keith V. Klenke wrote:
>
>> check out thread, perhaps that is similar?
>> novell.support.groupwise.6x.gwia
>> Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:56 AM
>> POP3 automated password cracker bot?

>
> Entirely possible, though this was a thrashing, the amount of time it
> would take to remove the intruder lockout the admin account and moving
> the mouse to NRM (which was already populated with username/password)
> and clicking on the login button would see the account locked out again
> :-/.
> I suspect if I allocated more threads to the POP3 server I would have
> seen more attempts.



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:16:02 +0000, Craig wrote:

> Don't you know? POP3 is dead


Really it is. There's no reason not be using IMAP.

--
Joe
"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do."

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

> Really it is. There's no reason not be using IMAP.

I'll second that. But POP still has a following.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

Like at Gmail and Yahoo. 🙂

It ain't dead until it's dead.


"G of Borg" <G@collectiveAB1.com> wrote in message
news:aTExj.5918$Ec7.3068@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>> Really it is. There's no reason not be using IMAP.

>
> I'll second that. But POP still has a following.



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:32:06 +0000, G of Borg wrote:

> I'll second that. But POP still has a following.


POP's following is named "Craig." 🙂

--
Joe
"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do."

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

Craig's boss. 🙂

Actually though, I see Blackberry's, Gmail - Yahoo multi-account access
using POP. And if Novell thinks it's so dead, how comes I can add a POP
account to my Groupwise client?


"Joseph Marton" <jmartonNO@SPAMhsemuni.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2008.02.28.21.04.52.138881@SPAMhsemuni.com...
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:32:06 +0000, G of Borg wrote:
>
>> I'll second that. But POP still has a following.

>
> POP's following is named "Craig." 🙂
>
> --
> Joe
> "Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us
> who do."
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

Joseph Marton wrote:

>
> Really it is. There's no reason not be using IMAP.
>


Yes there is.

I host emails for a couple of domains using Postfix, POP etc. and don't want
to be the store for their messages taking up my disk space. The users can
login and download their messages and use their disk space to store them.

Yes the powers that be would like you to believe POP is dead. That way they
have more time to mangle with the messages, add advertising, search
indexing etc. Disk manufactures love it because they can sell more capacity
blah, blah...

I don't know, maybe my friend paranoid Jim is in the room.... 😞

J
--
Pye, James Pye, chmod 007, The Ultimate Open Source

You know it's going to be a bad day when you hear
"Transporter Malfunction" while being demolecularised.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

Joseph Marton wrote:


> Really it is. There's no reason not be using IMAP.


There is when your paying >1USD/min over a 9600baud sat connection 😕
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

Craig wrote:

> Don't you know? POP3 is dead (according to Novell). Stop using
> it!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> 🙂


<sigh> 🙂
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Account Attacks on POP3 Servers

Jim Pye wrote:

> I host emails for a couple of domains using Postfix, POP etc. and
> don't want to be the store for their messages taking up my disk
> space.


Another good point.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.