jcalderwood Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1199 views

Apple RANT

First there are some things to !@#$% about in OS X. This rant is based
on 10.5.

<rant>
How in the !@#$ can you not include something simple like iSCSI support
in our os?? I want to use a iscsi target for timemachine... Soooo I
googled for a mac os x client and found one. It worked until I !@#$ing
rebooted. WTF???? My mounted iscsi volume is gone? WTF did it go?
Fishing? I was backing up all weekend and then it just did a good
impression of my ex's and just up and left? Now I am beating my face in
with a meat hammer trying to figure this out!

Oh well I hope 10.6 will include native iscsi support....

</rant>

<THUD>
Labels (1)
0 Likes
12 Replies
jcalderwood Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Apple RANT

On 5/26/09 10:19 AM, Jay Zie wrote:
> First there are some things to !@#$% about in OS X. This rant is based
> on 10.5.
>
> <rant>
> How in the !@#$ can you not include something simple like iSCSI support
> in our os?? I want to use a iscsi target for timemachine... Soooo I
> googled for a mac os x client and found one. It worked until I !@#$ing
> rebooted. WTF???? My mounted iscsi volume is gone? WTF did it go?
> Fishing? I was backing up all weekend and then it just did a good
> impression of my ex's and just up and left? Now I am beating my face in
> with a meat hammer trying to figure this out!
>
> Oh well I hope 10.6 will include native iscsi support....
>
> </rant>
>
> <THUD>


I open disk utility and the repair option says invalid sibling link...
Oh geee
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Apple RANT


>
> I open disk utility and the repair option says invalid sibling link...



Sounds like something a divorce lawyer would say, not an O.S. ...
0 Likes
jcalderwood Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Apple RANT

On 5/26/09 11:01 AM, Mike M wrote:
>
>>
>> I open disk utility and the repair option says invalid sibling link...

>
>
> Sounds like something a divorce lawyer would say, not an O.S. ...


ROFL... yeah... I ended up formatting the disk... the volume for some
reason was b0rk3d
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Apple RANT

I love AAPL!!!! Bought it at $!00!


"Jay Zie" <jeromecalderwood@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:3USSl.2739$rb5.2293@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> First there are some things to !@#$% about in OS X. This rant is based on
> 10.5.
>
> <rant>
> How in the !@#$ can you not include something simple like iSCSI support in
> our os?? I want to use a iscsi target for timemachine... Soooo I googled
> for a mac os x client and found one. It worked until I !@#$ing rebooted.
> WTF???? My mounted iscsi volume is gone? WTF did it go? Fishing? I was
> backing up all weekend and then it just did a good impression of my ex's
> and just up and left? Now I am beating my face in with a meat hammer
> trying to figure this out!
>
> Oh well I hope 10.6 will include native iscsi support....
>
> </rant>
>
> <THUD>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Apple RANT

Make that "$100", but I love RIMM more on accounta I bought it at $40!
"Craig" <ElRushbo@eibnet.com> wrote in message
news:a5VSl.2808$rb5.440@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>I love AAPL!!!! Bought it at $!00!
>
>
> "Jay Zie" <jeromecalderwood@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:3USSl.2739$rb5.2293@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>> First there are some things to !@#$% about in OS X. This rant is based on
>> 10.5.
>>
>> <rant>
>> How in the !@#$ can you not include something simple like iSCSI support
>> in our os?? I want to use a iscsi target for timemachine... Soooo I
>> googled for a mac os x client and found one. It worked until I !@#$ing
>> rebooted. WTF???? My mounted iscsi volume is gone? WTF did it go?
>> Fishing? I was backing up all weekend and then it just did a good
>> impression of my ex's and just up and left? Now I am beating my face in
>> with a meat hammer trying to figure this out!
>>
>> Oh well I hope 10.6 will include native iscsi support....
>>
>> </rant>
>>
>> <THUD>

>
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Apple RANT

I don't know to many people using iscsi on the desktop. Actually, aside
from you of course, I don't know anybody who uses iscsi on the desktop.
Not that I couldn't see a use for it, but just probably not that
popular a thing for desktop computers at this point. 😄

As for your rant. It was feeling pretty weak bud. You might want to
exercise a little less restraint next time. xD
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Apple RANT

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 14:19 +0000, Jay Zie wrote:
> First there are some things to !@#$% about in OS X. This rant is based
> on 10.5.
>
> <rant>
> How in the !@#$ can you not include something simple like iSCSI support
> in our os?? I want to use a iscsi target for timemachine... Soooo I
> googled for a mac os x client and found one. It worked until I !@#$ing
> rebooted. WTF???? My mounted iscsi volume is gone? WTF did it go?
> Fishing? I was backing up all weekend and then it just did a good
> impression of my ex's and just up and left? Now I am beating my face in
> with a meat hammer trying to figure this out!
>
> Oh well I hope 10.6 will include native iscsi support....
>
> </rant>
>
> <THUD>


I agree... to a point. This is APPLE.. not Linux we're talking
about. With Apple you get what you get... NOTHING more. Apple
gets to define the box in which you live. You tried to go
outside of the box.... and Apple doesn't want you to go
outside of the box.

Your next step to convince Apple that iSCSI belongs inside of their
box.... but if you're the only one, they probably won't do it.

Geeks buy Apples (geeks are USERS of technology, they have no
need to go outside of the box).



0 Likes
jcalderwood Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Apple RANT

On 5/26/09 1:32 PM, Matthew wrote:
> I don't know to many people using iscsi on the desktop. Actually, aside
> from you of course, I don't know anybody who uses iscsi on the desktop.
> Not that I couldn't see a use for it, but just probably not that popular
> a thing for desktop computers at this point. 😄
>
> As for your rant. It was feeling pretty weak bud. You might want to
> exercise a little less restraint next time. xD


i'm using iscsi to mount san drives. I *could* use nfs....
0 Likes
Highlighted
jcalderwood Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Apple RANT

On 5/26/09 1:42 PM, cjcox wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 14:19 +0000, Jay Zie wrote:
>> First there are some things to !@#$% about in OS X. This rant is based
>> on 10.5.
>>
>> <rant>
>> How in the !@#$ can you not include something simple like iSCSI support
>> in our os?? I want to use a iscsi target for timemachine... Soooo I
>> googled for a mac os x client and found one. It worked until I !@#$ing
>> rebooted. WTF???? My mounted iscsi volume is gone? WTF did it go?
>> Fishing? I was backing up all weekend and then it just did a good
>> impression of my ex's and just up and left? Now I am beating my face in
>> with a meat hammer trying to figure this out!
>>
>> Oh well I hope 10.6 will include native iscsi support....
>>
>> </rant>
>>
>> <THUD>

>
> I agree... to a point. This is APPLE.. not Linux we're talking
> about. With Apple you get what you get... NOTHING more. Apple
> gets to define the box in which you live. You tried to go
> outside of the box.... and Apple doesn't want you to go
> outside of the box.
>
> Your next step to convince Apple that iSCSI belongs inside of their
> box.... but if you're the only one, they probably won't do it.
>
> Geeks buy Apples (geeks are USERS of technology, they have no
> need to go outside of the box).
>
>
>

looking at the apple forums, and other non-apple ran apple forums, I am
not the only one. apparently alot are asking for this.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Apple RANT

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 17:43 +0000, Jay Zie wrote:
> On 5/26/09 1:32 PM, Matthew wrote:
> > I don't know to many people using iscsi on the desktop. Actually, aside
> > from you of course, I don't know anybody who uses iscsi on the desktop.
> > Not that I couldn't see a use for it, but just probably not that popular
> > a thing for desktop computers at this point. 😄
> >
> > As for your rant. It was feeling pretty weak bud. You might want to
> > exercise a little less restraint next time. xD

>
> i'm using iscsi to mount san drives. I *could* use nfs....


Not exactly the same thing, but still, My guess is you have low
speed iSCSI, so, not terribly bad. Probably will take 20-50%
hit on performance.


0 Likes
jcalderwood Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Apple RANT

On 5/26/09 2:23 PM, cjcox wrote:
> Not exactly the same thing, but still, My guess is you have low
> speed iSCSI, so, not terribly bad. Probably will take 20-50%
> hit on performance.


My issue is that I need multiple concurrent writes to one lun....
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Apple RANT

cjcox <cjcox@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote in
news:1243359722.24790.39.camel@geeko:

> I agree... to a point. This is APPLE.. not Linux we're talking
> about. With Apple you get what you get... NOTHING more. Apple
> gets to define the box in which you live. You tried to go
> outside of the box.... and Apple doesn't want you to go
> outside of the box.
>
> Your next step to convince Apple that iSCSI belongs inside of their
> box.... but if you're the only one, they probably won't do it.
>
> Geeks buy Apples (geeks are USERS of technology, they have no
> need to go outside of the box).
>


Amen bro, but I know Jay is leaning more to Hacker, in a good way 🙂
My Uncle, he bought a Mac fancy book something and wanted me to support his
time machine whatsit, and I told him, NO; I was on VACATION! I helped him
migrate bookmarks by exporting from IE, importing into, something that let
us export into what he wanted.. The wizards sucked.

--
Ciao, Dave
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.