Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2031 views

Automatic Updates

I have a W2k3 R2 server that whenever it receives updates it automagically
reboots. Now I don't have to tell you what a headache this causes when it
does it in the middle of the work day, but for the life of me I have not
been able to locate how to change this behavior. Is it strictly a reg hack?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
grimlock1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Automatic Updates

GofBorg wrote:
> I have a W2k3 R2 server that whenever it receives updates it automagically
> reboots. Now I don't have to tell you what a headache this causes when it
> does it in the middle of the work day, but for the life of me I have not
> been able to locate how to change this behavior. Is it strictly a reg hack?
>


Are we talking about windows update? Change it in the control panel to
download and notify instead of apply, then you can apply at your leisure.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Automatic Updates

> Are we talking about windows update? Change it in the control panel to
> download and notify instead of apply, then you can apply at your leisure.


Well, you see here is the deal. I use a registry setting to set an internal
update server. After I do that on this particular version of windows, it has
greyed out all of the choices in the Automatic Updates Control Panel App. So
I assume I need to set a registry setting to a 0,1 or 2 somewhere.


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Automatic Updates

Do you think this one is it?

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\ForcedReboot

It is set to 1


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Automatic Updates

> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\ForcedReboot
>
> It is set to 1


Hmm. Apparently that's not it....in fact that key has disappeared while I
was looking at it....must be related to a reporting mechanism.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Automatic Updates

GofBorg wrote:
> Do you think this one is it?
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\ForcedReboot
>
> It is set to 1
>
>


is there a ScheduledInstallTime key? that should set the time of day
(1-24) that it can run

ScheduledInstallDay (1-7) Sun-Sat tells it which day it can install updates
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Automatic Updates

> is there a ScheduledInstallTime key? that should set the time of day
> (1-24) that it can run
>
> ScheduledInstallDay (1-7) Sun-Sat tells it which day it can install
> updates


Well the installation isn't the problem. I don't want it to force reboot
the server.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Automatic Updates

GofBorg wrote:
>> is there a ScheduledInstallTime key? that should set the time of day
>> (1-24) that it can run
>>
>> ScheduledInstallDay (1-7) Sun-Sat tells it which day it can install
>> updates

>
> Well the installation isn't the problem. I don't want it to force reboot
> the server.
>

hmm...
there is NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers - but I think that only works if
someone is logged-on at the console.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Automatic Updates

> hmm...
> there is NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers - but I think that only works if
> someone is logged-on at the console.


Well I could leave admin logged in and just lock the console.


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Automatic Updates

Most of the suggestions I am reading are focusing on
settings that are distributed to the clients logged in to
a Domain, not how to tell a server to not reboot. 😞


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Automatic Updates

I'm going to try the group policy change and see what happens.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Automatic Updates

GofBorg wrote:
> I have a W2k3 R2 server that whenever it receives updates it automagically
> reboots. Now I don't have to tell you what a headache this causes when it
> does it in the middle of the work day, but for the life of me I have not
> been able to locate how to change this behavior. Is it strictly a reg hack?
>

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512630.aspx
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.