Crushed by server

Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Crushed by server

Ouch.

I worked at a state agency and we were "upgrading" their old Compaq Proliant serves (basically taking apart everything and putting new motherboards, cpu, etc. in them).

Anyway, I forget the model #, but they were I think 16 U servers and weighed like 900 pounds (okay I exaggerate a little).

Anyway, the guy I was working with was rather tall, and he decided to get the server out of the rack (the very top server, mind you) all by himself. Well, needless to say it slipped.

Fortunately he got out of the way before it too, crushed him, but it landed on it's edge and converted itself into a parallelogram (is that spelled right?)

Amazingly, after taking a mallet and hammering it back into shape, and reseating everything, it still worked!
0 Likes
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager

That's a BIG server. I'll never think of the phrase "computer crash" in
the same way again.

--
Kim (1/13/2010 7:43:01 AM Mountain)
--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
adrockk Contributor.
Contributor.

kjhurni wrote:

> it landed on it's edge and converted itself into a parallelogram

Hahaha, that made me laught out loud.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bummer...I always figured I'll die at work, but this isn't one of the ways
I envisioned.
0 Likes
grimlock1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 1/13/2010 3:16 AM, Marcel Cox wrote:
> http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/soa/Vic-man-crushed-by-falling-server/0,130061702,339300407,00.htm
>
>

Servers failing under people load is one thing. People failing under
server load is another altogether.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.