Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
4537 views

Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

Labels (1)
0 Likes
23 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

WooHoo!

Of course there's like no money to get from SCO now, but hopefully this is all settled now (or can SCO appeal some more?)
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

On 3/30/10 3:36 PM, kjhurni wrote:
>
> WooHoo!
>
> Of course there's like no money to get from SCO now, but hopefully this
> is all settled now (or can SCO appeal some more?)
>
>


Hopefully SCO will die a beggers death and that will be that.
0 Likes
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

Beggar's death....well like the guy in the Holy Grail: "I'm not dead yet!"

From Groklaw - Digging for Truth :

Update: And we hear what the plans are from Edward Cahn, via Tom Harvey's report in the Salt Lake Tribune. Guess what they plan to do? Sue some more, of course, you silly wabbits:

Former U.S. District Judge Edward Cahn, the trustee for SCO's bankruptcy filed in Delaware, said the company is "deeply disappointed" in the jury's verdict in the dispute over which company owned the copyrights to Unix, which is widely used in business computing.
But Cahn said SCO intends to continue its lawsuit against IBM, in which the computer giant is accused of using Unix code to make the Linux operating system a viable competitor, causing a decline in SCO's revenues.

"The copyright claims are gone, but we have other claims based on contracts," Cahn said.


See? They never quit, and they never learn. So onward! Mush! Here we go some more. I think SCO will regret this too, but as I say, they never listen to me. If they had, I could have saved them a lot of money, and their business too, I think. Sad, really. But whatever, y'all. They are addicted to litigation. The copyright claim was stronger, in my view, than the contract claims. If they couldn't prevail here, with this judge, and with the wind at their back from the strange Court of Appeals remand, where can they? Honestly, you'd need the fix to be in, I think, and even with almost everything tilted pro-SCO in Utah, it still lost. Maybe there's a lesson in this picture? Does it ever occur to SCOfolk that they keep losing because they're simply wrong about the contracts, wrong about the tech, and wrong about the history?
--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

I wonder how long it will be before that big "Read what the 10th
circuit court of appeals said" block will be gone from their website?

http://www.sco.com/

--
Kim - 3/30/2010 3:35:40 PM
--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

It's a shame Novell had to devote some much time and resource to fight
this battle. However, perhaps we now may see a little more devoted to
marketing? 🙂


thsundel wrote:
> Though some of you would be interested.
>
> 'NOVELL: Novell News » Blog Archive » Decision in the SCO Group vs.
> Novell Jury trial' (http://www.novell.com/prblogs/?p=2153)
>
> Thomas
>
>

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

Novell apparently took their ethics lessons from Bill Gates.



"thsundel" <thsundel@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:thsundel.48njyp@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Though some of you would be interested.
>
> 'NOVELL: Novell News » Blog Archive » Decision in the SCO Group vs.
> Novell Jury trial' (http://www.novell.com/prblogs/?p=2153)
>
> Thomas
>
>
> --
> http://thsundel.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> thsundel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=128
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=406225
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

On 30/03/2010 20:46, thsundel wrote:
>
> Though some of you would be interested.
>
> 'NOVELL: Novell News » Blog Archive » Decision in the SCO Group vs.
> Novell Jury trial' (http://www.novell.com/prblogs/?p=2153)


Its the same decision the court reached by SJ, but SCO managed to have
requeued for a jury decision. SCO will keep fighting until there is none
of Novell's money left, nobody will be surprised if that happens soon....
0 Likes
adrockk Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

Wallgames.com wrote:

> Novell apparently took their ethics lessons from Bill Gates.


You're gonna have to explain that statement.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14786202

"At issue was a poorly worded portion of the contract that could be read to
say that Novell retained the Unix copyrights in the sale. SCO presented
top-level negotiators and executives from Santa Cruz and Novell -- including
former Novell CEO and Chairman Robert Frankenberg -- who all said the deal's
intent was to transfer every bit of the Unix system, including the
copyrights."

Does anyone truly believe SCO would have purchased UNIX otherwise?






"Adam Gabriel" <adrockk@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:4mIsn.15347$yE3.11895@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> Wallgames.com wrote:
>
>> Novell apparently took their ethics lessons from Bill Gates.

>
> You're gonna have to explain that statement.



0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

A Better summary is here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_v._Novell

If the Novell simply sold everything, the sale document would have been
clear.

The mere fact that it was complicated indicates that everything was
transferred and Novell won case after case after case against SCO in
this matter.

SCO may have been "Shocked" by the Jury ruling that matched every
Judicial ruling, but the truth is they never had any standing as shown
in every court case.

When they began to fail, they resorted to baseless suits.

On 3/31/2010 11:29 AM, Wallgames.com wrote:
> http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14786202
>
> "At issue was a poorly worded portion of the contract that could be read to
> say that Novell retained the Unix copyrights in the sale. SCO presented
> top-level negotiators and executives from Santa Cruz and Novell -- including
> former Novell CEO and Chairman Robert Frankenberg -- who all said the deal's
> intent was to transfer every bit of the Unix system, including the
> copyrights."
>
> Does anyone truly believe SCO would have purchased UNIX otherwise?
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Adam Gabriel"<adrockk@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
> news:4mIsn.15347$yE3.11895@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>> Wallgames.com wrote:
>>
>>> Novell apparently took their ethics lessons from Bill Gates.

>>
>> You're gonna have to explain that statement.

>
>


--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

I appreciate what you're saying, but I'll have to respectfully disagree.

If I were Corel, I would be carefully reviewing the WordPerfect buy/sell
documentation. Fortunately for Corel, Novell has not recently acquired a
product which would be threatened by an assertion of WordPerfect ownership
rights.



"craig wilson" <craig_d_wilson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:H4Ksn.15381$yE3.6682@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>A Better summary is here
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_v._Novell
>
> If the Novell simply sold everything, the sale document would have been
> clear.
>
> The mere fact that it was complicated indicates that everything was
> transferred and Novell won case after case after case against SCO in this
> matter.
>
> SCO may have been "Shocked" by the Jury ruling that matched every Judicial
> ruling, but the truth is they never had any standing as shown in every
> court case.
>
> When they began to fail, they resorted to baseless suits.
>
> On 3/31/2010 11:29 AM, Wallgames.com wrote:
>> http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14786202
>>
>> "At issue was a poorly worded portion of the contract that could be read
>> to
>> say that Novell retained the Unix copyrights in the sale. SCO presented
>> top-level negotiators and executives from Santa Cruz and Novell --
>> including
>> former Novell CEO and Chairman Robert Frankenberg -- who all said the
>> deal's
>> intent was to transfer every bit of the Unix system, including the
>> copyrights."
>>
>> Does anyone truly believe SCO would have purchased UNIX otherwise?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Adam Gabriel"<adrockk@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
>> news:4mIsn.15347$yE3.11895@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>>> Wallgames.com wrote:
>>>
>>>> Novell apparently took their ethics lessons from Bill Gates.
>>>
>>> You're gonna have to explain that statement.

>>
>>

>



0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

I think Corel's on a semi self-destruct and MS is also slowly making inroads (just like against GroupWise). Personally I don't think it'll be too much longer before either product is snuffed out.
0 Likes
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

but I'll have to respectfully disagree.


But Frankenburg, etc. said during the trial, even though he assumed it would transfer, he really didn't pay that close of attention to what the board did when they were discussing it...and the board did not transfer copyright. It wasn't up to Frankenburg to make that decision.
--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Decision in the SCO vs. Novell trial

On 3/31/10 12:26 PM, kjhurni wrote:
>
> I think Corel's on a semi self-destruct and MS is also slowly making
> inroads (just like against GroupWise). Personally I don't think it'll
> be too much longer before either product is snuffed out.
>
>


It will be awhile before WordPerfect is snuffed out. They still have a
very large install base inside governments and law firms. Although it
is eroding.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.