dsmi87dgf Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Encrypting a network drive

Hi
we are a NetWare/OES2 shop and I am looking for a product that will encrypt a particular user's home directory so only that user can decrypt it.

Anyone know of any good products?

Thanks!
Dave
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Encrypting a network drive

Server-side encryption?

Off the top of my head, you could use iFolder and have them put all their stuff there. It's been a long time since I looked at it, so I'm not sure if the encryption/restore issue is still present. (I believe in the old ifolder 2.0 product if you enabled encryption not even the admin could look at the data. So if the user said, I deleted file X and I need it restored, you couldn't restore just that file because it was encrypted so you didn't know which one to restore).
0 Likes
dsmi87dgf Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes. I don't want to encrypt the entire volume, just particular user's home directories. Ideally the data would be decrypted to the user upon them logging in to our eDirectory. If they had to login a second time to decrypt, I don't think that would be the worst thing.
Ifolder sounds like a good idea, but I want to encrypt certain user's home directories and I need it seamless to them as much as possible.

Thanks
0 Likes
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

dsmi87dgf;1978115 wrote:
Yes. I don't want to encrypt the entire volume, just particular user's home directories. Ideally the data would be decrypted to the user upon them logging in to our eDirectory. If they had to login a second time to decrypt, I don't think that would be the worst thing.
Ifolder sounds like a good idea, but I want to encrypt certain user's home directories and I need it seamless to them as much as possible.

Thanks

You may want to look at the Novell's endpoint security pieces - I could be very wrong, but I believe their encryption stuff will encrypt contents of a folder or drive - in your case the user's home folder.

-- Bob
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 21/05/2010 19:16, Bob-O-Rama wrote:
>
> dsmi87dgf;1978115 Wrote:
>> Yes. I don't want to encrypt the entire volume, just particular user's
>> home directories. Ideally the data would be decrypted to the user upon
>> them logging in to our eDirectory. If they had to login a second time to
>> decrypt, I don't think that would be the worst thing.
>> Ifolder sounds like a good idea, but I want to encrypt certain user's
>> home directories and I need it seamless to them as much as possible.
>>
>> Thanks

>
> You may want to look at the Novell's endpoint security pieces - I could
> be very wrong, but I believe their encryption stuff will encrypt
> contents of a folder or drive - in your case the user's home folder.

Most of the on the fly encryptors seem to require low level drivers that
can't "see" netware volumes (but oddly, can see cifs shares)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.