Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1110 views

End of an era...

I just sent 10 years of Netware/Novell Connection,
Packet and Windows NT Systems magazines to the recycle bin.
I have to say it was a little more than depressing. I look
at the state of things and wonder at the missed opportunities.

To quote from December 1996 Netware Connection magazine, page 35
Advertisement for Groupwise:

'There's e Mail. And Now There's G Mail.'

Well, yes there is.
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: End of an era...

Eerily prescient!

"GofBorg" <GofBorg@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote in message
news:6R4mk.14694$g35.3546@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>I just sent 10 years of Netware/Novell Connection,
> Packet and Windows NT Systems magazines to the recycle bin.
> I have to say it was a little more than depressing. I look
> at the state of things and wonder at the missed opportunities.
>
> To quote from December 1996 Netware Connection magazine, page 35
> Advertisement for Groupwise:
>
> 'There's e Mail. And Now There's G Mail.'
>
> Well, yes there is.



0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: End of an era...

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 22:52:50 GMT, GofBorg
<GofBorg@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>I just sent 10 years of Netware/Novell Connection,
>Packet and Windows NT Systems magazines to the recycle bin.
>I have to say it was a little more than depressing. I look
>at the state of things and wonder at the missed opportunities.


I've got a couple of boxes of computer books (going back to my Z80 manuals)
siiting in the garage, unsure whether it's worth unpacking them. I left the
boxed issues of Netware/Novell Connection sitting in the old house,
probably will go the recycling when the house sells.

Donald Albury
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: End of an era...

Donald Albury spewed:

> On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 22:52:50 GMT, GofBorg
> <GofBorg@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
>
> > I just sent 10 years of Netware/Novell Connection,
> > Packet and Windows NT Systems magazines to the recycle bin.
> > I have to say it was a little more than depressing. I look
> > at the state of things and wonder at the missed opportunities.

>
> I've got a couple of boxes of computer books (going back to my Z80 manuals)
> siiting in the garage, unsure whether it's worth unpacking them. I left the
> boxed issues of Netware/Novell Connection sitting in the old house,
> probably will go the recycling when the house sells.
>
> Donald Albury


I've got a Z80 sitting in my garage... new in the box actually. 😄

Its a kit for prototyping for embeded stuff I think.

--


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: End of an era...

> I've got a couple of boxes of computer books (going back to my Z80
> manuals) siiting in the garage, unsure whether it's worth unpacking them.
> I left the boxed issues of Netware/Novell Connection sitting in the old
> house, probably will go the recycling when the house sells.


These mags I had stashed in the spare parts closet.
I needed more space....and I still need more space. 🙂
Next I have to find a good used PC parts buyer.
I've got a pile of DLT drives.

--
Vista...Why risk it? Fdisk it!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: End of an era...

Adam Gabriel,
> I've got a Z80 sitting in my garage... new in the box actually. 😄
>

Just bought one of these, cheap:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en023805

It is so cool to be doing assembler again 😉

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: End of an era...

Anders Gustafsson spewed:
> Just bought one of these, cheap:
> http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dD
> ocName=en023805
>
> It is so cool to be doing assembler again 😉
>
> - Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
> The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>


I used those kits in college. Learned on old intel 8080's and then as soon as
that professor retired, the new guy switched us to the PIC's (452's I think). I
didn't like them, cause you never learned the raw assembly, but instead wrote
everything in a higher, compiled code.

Those kits sure did some really cool things though.



--


0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: End of an era...

Adam Gabriel,
> I used those kits in college. Learned on old intel 8080's and then as soon as
> that professor retired, the new guy switched us to the PIC's (452's I think). I
> didn't like them, cause you never learned the raw assembly, but instead wrote
> everything in a higher, compiled code.


Well, we did 8085 assembly when I studied in the early 80's. I also built a
single-board Z8 that you could program in BASIC. PICs have been around for 10-15
years IIRC.

They can be programmed in almost anything and the entry level tools are free, but
assembler makes most sense for the smaller ones with just a few K of RAM. They
are extremely versatile building blocks though, especially when you try doing the
same thing with discrete logic ICs.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.