Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
4110 views

Guitar help?

Okay - I know we've got some guitar experts out there <g>.

I was mostly a "casual" guitar player as a teenager, and haven't played in
well over 20 years. My daughter decided she wanted to learn, so I pulled
out my old guitar and restrung it. There is just something really WEIRD
about the bottom E string. It will NOT play an F#. I.e., the second fret
sounds pretty much the same as the third fret, jumping right past the F#.
The F and G are both fine, but there is just no change between frets 2 and
3.

Maybe I just have the wrong kind of strings. Like I say, I haven't played
in over 20 years, and thus haven't changed strings in over 20 years, so
maybe I somehow got the wrong gauge (and no, I honestly don't remember what
I got). It just seems to go against all of the mechanics of string tension
to not get a change in tone when you change the fret! That said, if I use a
capo on the second fret, then things are okay. This makes me worry of
course that something's up with the fret board. Maybe I'll just take it to
the guitar shop tomorrow and let someone look at it.

--
Danita
http://www.caledonia.net/blog
Labels (1)
0 Likes
24 Replies
Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Guitar help?

I'm a little tired so bare with me. It sounds like the neck isn't
curved correctly (storing one for twenty years will do that). You might
also have some loose frets. My suggestion is to take it into a good
music store for a tune up. Probably nothing more than adjusting the
truss rod and maybe fixing a fret or two. Shouldn't be real expensive.

--
Matthew - The Great System Tyrant
--------------------------------->
http://www.matthewdgood.com
http://www.systemtyrant.com
http://www.mattography.net
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Guitar help?

What matthew says.. Look at the neck along the frets or try with a
ruler. It might be warped.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Guitar help?

Anders Gustafsson wrote:

> What matthew says.. Look at the neck along the frets or try with a ruler.
> It might be warped.


Okay - it's off to the guitar shop today - we'll see what they say. I tried
playing it some last night, and while it's mostly like "riding a bike" I was
doubting my abilities a lot just because of the sounds coming out <g>.

--
Danita
http://www.caledonia.net/blog
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Guitar help?

DZanre ha scritto:

> Okay - I know we've got some guitar experts out there <g>.
>
> I was mostly a "casual" guitar player as a teenager, and haven't
> played in well over 20 years. My daughter decided she wanted to
> learn, so I pulled out my old guitar and restrung it. There is just
> something really WEIRD about the bottom E string. It will NOT play
> an F#. I.e., the second fret sounds pretty much the same as the
> third fret, jumping right past the F#. The F and G are both fine,
> but there is just no change between frets 2 and 3.
>
> Maybe I just have the wrong kind of strings. Like I say, I haven't
> played in over 20 years, and thus haven't changed strings in over 20
> years, so maybe I somehow got the wrong gauge (and no, I honestly
> don't remember what I got). It just seems to go against all of the
> mechanics of string tension to not get a change in tone when you
> change the fret! That said, if I use a capo on the second fret, then
> things are okay. This makes me worry of course that something's up
> with the fret board. Maybe I'll just take it to the guitar shop
> tomorrow and let someone look at it.


As a work around, just play everything in C.

--
brain satriani
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Guitar help?

Brain,
> As a work around, just play everything in C.
>

Play "Blue Jay Way"

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Guitar help?

brain wrote:

> As a work around, just play everything in C.


Hey - that's an idea . .

--
Danita
http://www.caledonia.net/blog
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Guitar help?

Matthew,
>My suggestion is to take it into a good
> music store for a tune up. Probably nothing more than adjusting the
> truss rod and maybe fixing a fret or two. Shouldn't be real expensive.
>


So you're telling her it's nothing to fret about?

<ducking>
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Guitar help?

Doug Black wrote:
> Matthew,
> > My suggestion is to take it into a good music store for a tune up.
> > Probably nothing more than adjusting the truss rod and maybe
> > fixing a fret or two. Shouldn't be real expensive.

>
> So you're telling her it's nothing to fret about?
>
> <ducking>


*searches desk frantically* I'm sure I had a couple of rotten tomatoes
here somewhere -- part of the Felton Defense Programme, I think!

--
Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett
http://flatpack.microwavepizza.co.uk/
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Guitar help?

DZanre wrote:
> Okay - I know we've got some guitar experts out there <g>.



You're fretting out. Either raise the action or twist on the truss rod.
I would not suggest twisting on the truss rod though as you will break
the neck. You can try it, but you'll break the neck.

If the action is really low, you can simply raise the bridge and that
should fix your problem.

HTH
g
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Guitar help?

Doug Black > wrote:
> Matthew,
>> My suggestion is to take it into a good music store for a tune up.
>> Probably nothing more than adjusting the truss rod and maybe fixing a
>> fret or two. Shouldn't be real expensive.
>>

>
> So you're telling her it's nothing to fret about?
>
> <ducking>


I wouldn't fret about it unless your high strung. Being high strung can
bend you out of shape you know.

--
Matthew - The Great System Tyrant
--------------------------------------
http://www.mattography.net/
http://www.matthewdgood.com/
http://www.systemtyrant.com/
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Guitar help?

Greg B wrote:
> DZanre wrote:
>> Okay - I know we've got some guitar experts out there <g>.

>
>
> You're fretting out. Either raise the action or twist on the truss rod.
> I would not suggest twisting on the truss rod though as you will break
> the neck. You can try it, but you'll break the neck.
>
> If the action is really low, you can simply raise the bridge and that
> should fix your problem.
>
> HTH
> g


If the neck is warped raising the action high enough to stop fretting
usually makes it really hard to play. As for adjusting the truss rod.
Best done by people who know what they are doing. I do all my own
guitar repairs and I still hate adjusting the truss rod.

--
Matthew - The Great System Tyrant
--------------------------------------
http://www.mattography.net/
http://www.matthewdgood.com/
http://www.systemtyrant.com/
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Guitar help?

Matthew;1570419 wrote:
Greg B wrote:
> DZanre wrote:
>> Okay - I know we've got some guitar experts out there <g>.

>
>
> You're fretting out. Either raise the action or twist on the truss rod.
> I would not suggest twisting on the truss rod though as you will break
> the neck. You can try it, but you'll break the neck.
>
> If the action is really low, you can simply raise the bridge and that
> should fix your problem.
>
> HTH
> g


If the neck is warped raising the action high enough to stop fretting
usually makes it really hard to play. As for adjusting the truss rod.
Best done by people who know what they are doing. I do all my own
guitar repairs and I still hate adjusting the truss rod.

--
Matthew - The Great System Tyrant
--------------------------------------
I killed it.
I killed it.
I killed it.


Agreed, pain in the butt.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Guitar help?

Matthew wrote:

>>
>> If the action is really low,



> If the neck is warped raising the action high enough to stop fretting
> usually makes it really hard to play.



That's why I said "if the action is really low". 😉
0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Guitar help?

Matthew wrote:

> If the neck is warped raising the action high enough to stop fretting
> usually makes it really hard to play.


This may be what we are looking at here. I took it to the guitar shop and
they are going to try to shim the bridge to see if that will do it. But it
looks like the neck is warped a bit, as is the actual body of the guitar
unfortunately! I guess it's worth $40 to try to fix. If that doesn't do it
I'll get her a new one <gasp>. I'm more saddened by the fact that my poor
old guitar is broken <g>.

--
Danita
http://www.caledonia.net/blog
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.