naomi371 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
993 views

It's so...almost like open-source

I needed to download a Sound Blaster driver for a Dell pc. Dell didn't
have anything useful. Creative didn't have it. Half an hour later I
found it at driverguide.com (by way of google-searching for one of the
files contained in it).

How many times has driverguide had what you needed when nobody else did?
It's been the ticket for me at least a couple dozen, over the years.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
zeffan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: It's so...almost like open-source

I needed to download a Sound Blaster driver for a Dell pc. Dell didn't
have anything useful. Creative didn't have it. Half an hour later I
found it at driverguide.com (by way of google-searching for one of the
files contained in it).

How many times has driverguide had what you needed when nobody else did?
It's been the ticket for me at least a couple dozen, over the years.


I find something exclusively at driverguide about every other month. It's usually the second place I look, right after the manufacturer's site.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: It's so...almost like open-source

Mary Wood wrote:
> I needed to download a Sound Blaster driver for a Dell pc. Dell didn't
> have anything useful. Creative didn't have it. Half an hour later I
> found it at driverguide.com (by way of google-searching for one of the
> files contained in it).
>
> How many times has driverguide had what you needed when nobody else did?
> It's been the ticket for me at least a couple dozen, over the years.


What drives me crazy with dell is when you enter the service tag it
offers five audio (NIC, video whatever) drivers one of which is needed
but who knows because the service tag list didn't describe the actual
hardware.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: It's so...almost like open-source

George said something like:

> Mary Wood wrote:
> > I needed to download a Sound Blaster driver for a Dell pc. Dell
> > didn't have anything useful. Creative didn't have it. Half an
> > hour later I found it at driverguide.com (by way of
> > google-searching for one of the files contained in it).
> >
> > How many times has driverguide had what you needed when nobody else
> > did? It's been the ticket for me at least a couple dozen, over
> > the years.

>
> What drives me crazy with dell is when you enter the service tag it
> offers five audio (NIC, video whatever) drivers one of which is
> needed but who knows because the service tag list didn't describe the
> actual hardware.


One of the reasons I liked the Gateway (before being run into the
ground by MPC) products. I put in a serial number, I got exactly the
drivers that were shipped with the unit (or the updates for the same).
MPC support was painful, to say the least. Now that MPC has gone under,
that big "chunking" sound you hear is Gateways hitting the recycle
carts.

--
Lindsey
Using Xananews 1.19.1.110
0 Likes
naomi371 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: It's so...almost like open-source

Ah, yes! I've always found that so helpy, too.

George wrote:
> Mary Wood wrote:
>> I needed to download a Sound Blaster driver for a Dell pc. Dell
>> didn't have anything useful. Creative didn't have it. Half an hour
>> later I found it at driverguide.com (by way of google-searching for
>> one of the files contained in it).
>>
>> How many times has driverguide had what you needed when nobody else
>> did? It's been the ticket for me at least a couple dozen, over the
>> years.

>
> What drives me crazy with dell is when you enter the service tag it
> offers five audio (NIC, video whatever) drivers one of which is needed
> but who knows because the service tag list didn't describe the actual
> hardware.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: It's so...almost like open-source

Lindsey Johnstone wrote:
> George said something like:


> One of the reasons I liked the Gateway (before being run into the
> ground by MPC) products. I put in a serial number, I got exactly the
> drivers that were shipped with the unit (or the updates for the same).
> MPC support was painful, to say the least. Now that MPC has gone under,
> that big "chunking" sound you hear is Gateways hitting the recycle
> carts.
>

I too was a big fan of Gateway until their support went into the carpper
which was right before they outsourced to MPC.

Brad
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: It's so...almost like open-source

Brad Averbeck said,

> Lindsey Johnstone wrote:
> > George said something like:

>
> > One of the reasons I liked the Gateway (before being run into the
> > ground by MPC) products. I put in a serial number, I got exactly the
> > drivers that were shipped with the unit (or the updates for the same).
> > MPC support was painful, to say the least. Now that MPC has gone under,
> > that big "chunking" sound you hear is Gateways hitting the recycle
> > carts.
> >

> I too was a big fan of Gateway until their support went into the carpper which
> was right before they outsourced to MPC.


Outsourced? They sold the whole ball of wax including the wick (read that as
service commitment) to MPC. No one in their right mind would buy from MPC (they
got rid of the US manufacturing operations and moved everything offshore) so they
had a huge commitment to fulfill and no sales. Their bread an butter was
governmental agencies and when they eliminated their US manufacturing, they lost
that business. Idgits.



--
Lindsey
Xananews 1.19.1.110
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: It's so...almost like open-source

Mary Wood wrote:
> I needed to download a Sound Blaster driver for a Dell pc. Dell didn't
> have anything useful. Creative didn't have it. Half an hour later I
> found it at driverguide.com (by way of google-searching for one of the
> files contained in it).
>
> How many times has driverguide had what you needed when nobody else did?
> It's been the ticket for me at least a couple dozen, over the years.


Actually, this is EXACTLY what happens when things ARE NOT open source.

Somebody releases software (software that is SO messed up that the
"vendor" doesn't even have full rights to it). It's proprietary.

Vendor (especially true of Creative), decides that they don't like
their partners, or simply don't want to support a product with a new
driver release. Eventually, the existing driver (which may or may
not... not is likely... work) goes away.

And hardware gets thrown into the land fill... EVEN though there
was nothing wrong with it.

Support pollution and global warming, send some money to your
favorite proprietary software vendor today!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.