Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3843 views

Need support~!

So, I was baking this cake, right? And...the cake split right at the
middle of the top. I don't know why it did this. Anybody know? Could it be
because I mixed it too much? It was one of them Betty Crocker's SuperMoist
cakes, so all I had to do was add in egg, water, and oil. Direction said
to use a mixer at certain speeds, for so long, but I didn't have one, so I
was mixing it by hand. Anyways, I baked two of them and both of them split
right at the top center of the cake. 😕 And I didn't bake too long because
it was just cooked by the time I pulled it out. Any ideas? 🙂

Howard
Labels (1)
0 Likes
17 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

Howard Yuan wrote:
> So, I was baking this cake, right? And...the cake split right at the
> middle of the top. I don't know why it did this. Anybody know? Could it be
> because I mixed it too much? It was one of them Betty Crocker's SuperMoist
> cakes, so all I had to do was add in egg, water, and oil. Direction said
> to use a mixer at certain speeds, for so long, but I didn't have one, so I
> was mixing it by hand. Anyways, I baked two of them and both of them split
> right at the top center of the cake. 😕 And I didn't bake too long because
> it was just cooked by the time I pulled it out. Any ideas? 🙂
>
> Howard

I always thought that happened when it was overdone but I could be wrong
I love to cook but baking is just not my thing.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

just put it back together with icing. the split just means that you
didn't over bake it, "Betty Crocker's SuperMoist" there ya go...super
moist...

--
"Moldy mildew, mother of mouthmuck, dangle and strangle to death." She
said.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

OrangeBlossom wrote:
> just put it back together with icing. the split just means that you
> didn't over bake it, "Betty Crocker's SuperMoist" there ya go...super
> moist...
>

I have no clue and I do the same thing, just put icing on it!
0 Likes
naomi371 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

Possible reasons:

"the most common reason why cakes peak and then crack is because during
baking, the edges of the cake bake and set faster than the middle. The
middle then has more time to rise from the leaveners before setting, causing
a peak."

"there are a variety of possibilities: oven too hot, over-mixed so too much
gluten development, not enough leavening."

"If they crack during baking, you could be overbeating the batter
(developing the structure too much). You might also check your oven
temperature to make sure that it isn't running too high."

In my experience (and I read it somewhere, too), ovens are not calibrated
very carefully - they can actually run up to 50 degrees different from what
you've set them. I had one that taught me this by charring everything I
attempted to bake, until I learned to set the temp down 50 degrees and
.....voila! Edible stuff!


"Howard Yuan" <hcyuan@IT-HYuan-LX.SIP.VLNC.COM> wrote in message
news:pan.2008.02.15.05.31.09.332587@IT-HYuan-LX.SIP.VLNC.COM...
> So, I was baking this cake, right? And...the cake split right at the
> middle of the top. I don't know why it did this. Anybody know? Could it be
> because I mixed it too much? It was one of them Betty Crocker's SuperMoist
> cakes, so all I had to do was add in egg, water, and oil. Direction said
> to use a mixer at certain speeds, for so long, but I didn't have one, so I
> was mixing it by hand. Anyways, I baked two of them and both of them split
> right at the top center of the cake. 😕 And I didn't bake too long because
> it was just cooked by the time I pulled it out. Any ideas? 🙂
>
> Howard



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

I'm sorry but you've stumbled upon the forum where no support is allowed.
🙂


"Howard Yuan" <hcyuan@IT-HYuan-LX.SIP.VLNC.COM> wrote in message
news:pan.2008.02.15.05.31.09.332587@IT-HYuan-LX.SIP.VLNC.COM...
> So, I was baking this cake, right? And...the cake split right at the
> middle of the top. I don't know why it did this. Anybody know? Could it be
> because I mixed it too much? It was one of them Betty Crocker's SuperMoist
> cakes, so all I had to do was add in egg, water, and oil. Direction said
> to use a mixer at certain speeds, for so long, but I didn't have one, so I
> was mixing it by hand. Anyways, I baked two of them and both of them split
> right at the top center of the cake. 😕 And I didn't bake too long because
> it was just cooked by the time I pulled it out. Any ideas? 🙂
>
> Howard



0 Likes
kathcarruthers Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

Novell makes cakes now?

Kathryn Carruthers
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

kathcarruthers wrote:

> Novell makes cakes now?


Yes but you'd never know it due to lack of marketing.

--
Joe
"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us
who do."
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

Interesting...I was thinking overbeating because I keep a thermometer in
the oven, and it wasn't going over the temperature the directions gave
me. In fact, it was under by about 5 degrees. Now, we did beat the batter
a lot. Ya know...5 different people, just beating it up! 😄 I'll have to
try again and see. 🙂 Thanks!

Howard

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:31:32 +0000, Mary Wood wrote:

> Possible reasons:
>
> "the most common reason why cakes peak and then crack is because during
> baking, the edges of the cake bake and set faster than the middle. The
> middle then has more time to rise from the leaveners before setting, causing
> a peak."
>
> "there are a variety of possibilities: oven too hot, over-mixed so too much
> gluten development, not enough leavening."
>
> "If they crack during baking, you could be overbeating the batter
> (developing the structure too much). You might also check your oven
> temperature to make sure that it isn't running too high."
>
> In my experience (and I read it somewhere, too), ovens are not calibrated
> very carefully - they can actually run up to 50 degrees different from what
> you've set them. I had one that taught me this by charring everything I
> attempted to bake, until I learned to set the temp down 50 degrees and
> ....voila! Edible stuff!
>
>
> "Howard Yuan" <hcyuan@IT-HYuan-LX.SIP.VLNC.COM> wrote in message
> news:pan.2008.02.15.05.31.09.332587@IT-HYuan-LX.SIP.VLNC.COM...
>> So, I was baking this cake, right? And...the cake split right at the
>> middle of the top. I don't know why it did this. Anybody know? Could it be
>> because I mixed it too much? It was one of them Betty Crocker's SuperMoist
>> cakes, so all I had to do was add in egg, water, and oil. Direction said
>> to use a mixer at certain speeds, for so long, but I didn't have one, so I
>> was mixing it by hand. Anyways, I baked two of them and both of them split
>> right at the top center of the cake. 😕 And I didn't bake too long because
>> it was just cooked by the time I pulled it out. Any ideas? 🙂
>>
>> Howard


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

Well, I solved the problem by putting the split on the bottom instead.
Fliped the cake over, so no one knew. 🙂

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:44:19 +0000, Chris wrote:

> OrangeBlossom wrote:
>> just put it back together with icing. the split just means that you
>> didn't over bake it, "Betty Crocker's SuperMoist" there ya go...super
>> moist...
>>

> I have no clue and I do the same thing, just put icing on it!


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

I thought it was overdone too, so the second one I checked earlier. But
nope, time was set right and so was the temp. When my timer went off, it
was just right. I checked 5 minutes prior and it still wasn't ready
yet..but it had already split. 😛

> I always thought that happened when it was overdone but I could be wrong
> I love to cook but baking is just not my thing.


0 Likes
islander Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

Brilliant solution! : )

--
Susan
Novell Community Chat Moderator

http://support.novell.com/forums/faq_rules.html
http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site



Susan Novell Community Chat Moderator http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 03:41:19 +0000, Susan wrote:

> Brilliant solution! : )


tee hee tee hee, i know. But it still annoyed me. You know how IT people
are. We're almost perfectionists. 🙂
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

kathcarruthers wrote:
> Novell makes cakes now?


Actually, no. However, they purchase already-made cakes, but new icing
on them, then hide them in the corner or the bakery until they get stale.

Then, when no one buys them, they hire a new baker.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need support~!

That's a zing-ah! 🙂
"Joseph Marton" <jmartonNO@SPAMhsemuni.com> wrote in message
news:XjEtj.1850$Ec7.330@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> kathcarruthers wrote:
>
>> Novell makes cakes now?

>
> Yes but you'd never know it due to lack of marketing.
>
> --
> Joe
> "Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us
> who do."



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.